1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPod Music Quality Tips

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by bushhpd, Jul 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bushhpd

bushhpd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought an IPod, but have never before imported music onto a computer from CD, so am hoping for some basic tips.

Am I best using Windows Media Player or ITunes. Also how do I import music such that it does not does any of the sound quality from the CD?

Any pointers would help!!!

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Well, since you have an iPod, then you can only use iTunes to put music on it.
    As for sound quality - get a few fav tracks from discs and import them into Tunes at various bit rates (Preferences will let you tinker with the settings), and then put them on the iPod. Listen and it'll soon become apparent as to which orks best for the style of music.
    As a general rule of thumb, 128 is as low as you'll want to go on MP3/AAC, 256 the highest. Any less sounds crap, any more is space used up and more battery power wasted with greater disc activity.
    192 is generally about the best compromise, even with better quality earphones used.
    There's no point doing Apple Lossless unless you re-encode at 128-192 before putting onto the iPod. The benefit of AL is very close to CD through very good computer speakers, but overkill for the iPod. Once you've re-encoded and transferred onto the iPod, you can delete the song from iTunes, leaving the AL version for listening to via the PC.
    Personally, I found 192-256 excellent enough with £200 computer speakers from Altec Lansing - FX6021's and Monsoon MM1000's (discontinued now, sadly).

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The lossless encode is very HQ, but takes a lot of space up..

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I have recently got an ipod which i want to use as a juke box hooked through a stereo amp. So far i have encoded everything at 256 AAC but will hopefully get round to try a sample with 256 and a sample with Apple lossless.

If i get the chance this weekend i will post some results of my findings.

5. RB05

RB05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about other Mp3 Players, whats the best transfer rate for a Creative?

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Should all be similar. Depends on the decoder chip used - Apple's contracted one (which I forget the name of) is very good indeed, but the one Creative used isn't a slouch either.