IPOD MP3 or AAC Format

beachbum

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just finished tranferring my entire CD collection to itunes (about 10Gb) and then transferred this to my 15Gb ipod.

I tried to burn an MP3 cd but all my music was in AAC format, that being the default setting when i installed itunes (i'm sure i didn't change it anyway!)

I converted a load of songs to MP3 but then i was left with 2 copies of all the converted songs (1 x AAC and 1 X MP3).

So my question is...........

Should I leave the import option to MP3 instead of AAC (128 kps) for all future CD to PC transfers, AND do i now have to convert every song to MP3 (in case i want to burn another MP3 CD). I don't mind the converting but will I then have to manually delete all the original AAC format tracks. :confused:

BB

The theory goes that 128 AAC is better than MP3 at 128. Some say that 128 AAC is better than 164 MP3 and so on.

Personally I do everything at 192 AAC. However that buggers up making MP3 discs.

Personally I'd say if you want MP3 discs just create duplicate but use AAC for importing and transferring to iPOd.

I've installed itunes this week for the first time (& bought a cheap ipod) and found that you can up the coversion rate for AAC to 192 kps (you need to select edit -> preferences; advanced -> importing. Then under settings choose custom. This allows you to choose up to 320 kps) - seems ok for me - maybe you could try an AAC song in 192 vs an MP3 in 192. Seen other posts around that say AAC is better than MP3 (must say haven't a clue).

Hope this helps

Right i have a tad prob here...my dad has gone and bought an ipod colour, which is good for him, but not so good for me. I just inserted the iTunes CD, and i dont know what to do because....

all my music is stored in wma, or mp3 formatt, if i import it into iTunes, will it be in AAC or can i choose to keep it as mp3. THe problem is if i am copying a cd for a friend, or taking music into school to listen to, hardly anyone has iTunes, so i wouldnt be able to listen to the music

so can i get itunes to convert all the wma into mp3 or something like that, or can i have two copies of the music on my hard drive?!?!?! :rolleyes:

I can't really hear any difference between MP3 and AAC. I'm just a bit gutted that I did'nt do all the original importing in MP3 so i would'nt now have to convert and then delete the original AAC music (I don't want duplicate copies of every song).

BB

dups45, iTunes will convert WMA to MP3 no problem, and it will import your music to the library in the format it's already in, unless it's WMA so will convert to MP3, or at least that's what it used to do with WMA files. I've looked on the Apple site today, and the spec says the iPod will play WMA.

I personally prefer the AAC format. If I want an MP3 CD, I'll use Nero or convert with iTunes and then delete it after.

Chris_J_0907 said:
dups45, iTunes will convert WMA to MP3 no problem, and it will import your music to the library in the format it's already in, unless it's WMA so will convert to MP3, or at least that's what it used to do with WMA files. I've looked on the Apple site today, and the spec says the iPod will play WMA.

I personally prefer the AAC format. If I want an MP3 CD, I'll use Nero or convert with iTunes and then delete it after.

Where did you see this? Any links? I would have bought an iPod before now if it played WMA files.

Sorry guys my mistake :oops:

iTunes will convert WMAs to MP3 when you import them. The iPod won't play WMA.

Got me in a panic there - I would love to see the iPod support WMA. All my music is on my PCs in this format just now hence my hesitation in buying an iPod. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom