1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod Mini & USB 1??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Iassh, Jul 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I want to buy an Ipod Mini but my laptop, which is about three years old, doesn't support USB 2.0. Will it work with the "old" USB 1, even if the data is transferred slowly? The man in the shop is not sure about it.

Thanks !!

2. jack190

jack190

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should do. I had no problems with the 40gig ipod. Cant see why the ipod mini would be any different. It just runs slower.
    I think you need to have USB 1.1 though, but i think most people have that. My pc it 5 years old atleast.

3. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you !!

And, yes, my laptop is USB1.1

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Does your laptop have windows XP or Windows 2000 on it ? If not, then iTunes will not run on it and you need iTunes to be able to transfer music onto the iPod

5. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should have no problems.

I also wouldn't worry too much about the "speed" of USB 2.0. Your certainly not going to find slow speeds with USB 1.

However you might have noticed alittle slot in the slot in the side of you laptop. You can buy USB 2.0 cards to go in this. I have one and although it has made a difference in speed i still tend to walk away for a few mins while things are transfering.

6. Iassh

Iassh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your replies.

My laptop works with W2000, so I think it will be fine.

And for the expasion slots, the laptop has only one and there is a WiFi card in it.

Best regards !!

7. pcusack

pcusack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using the IPOD mini with W2000 and USB1.1

The only problem that USB1.1 will cause is that when the comms are idle, your IPOD wont be charging.

USB2.0 is slightly different and when the IPOD is at rest it charges from the USB lead. With 1.1 the IPOD only charges during updates etc.

The other thing to look for is that you need to have SP4 or higher installed on your W2000. iTunes simply wont install with anything less.

Paul

8. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The essential difference between USB 1 (or 1.1) and USB 2.0 is speed.

USB 1 / 1.1 will give a max thruput of just over 1 megabyte per second, wheras USB 2 has a theoretical max output of approx 48 megabyte per second.

In practice, the speed is limited to the slowest transfer speed of any part of the chain and with i-pods etc, its the harddisk inside them, so you would only ever hit a max speed of 7 - 10 megabytes per second with such devices for pure drag and drop operations - if itunes or other software is busy gathering the tunes together for transfer or performing other operations, that speed can easily drop at times, so that your average speed might be nearer 5 megabytes per second.

This is why some people report not much difference in transfer speeds between usb 1 and 2.

So you are looking at downwards of one hour to fill a 20gb device using usb 2, usually.

Hope this makes sense and is of help.

Mike