1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPOD mini or HD5 ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by PJD007, Jun 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. PJD007

PJD007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Once again someone after some advice !

Not too bothered about capacity, which one sounds better and has better control over the audio ?

Everyone on here seems pro HD5 and I do like Sony products but just want to make sure I get the right player.

Any replies appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can't compare as I've never owned an Ipod, but I'm more than happy with my HD5 - fantastic SQ, equaliser is great with ATRAC, and TBH it's sufficient with MP3's as well (just allows tweaking of bass / treble).

HTH

Si

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    My vote goes for the HD5 for its sound quality.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Soundwise, the HD5 has more bass and can be tweaked better, especially if you have your music in ATRAC. The Mini sounds cleaner and is a better partner if you care about sound quality, works better for higher-end phones and also if you plug your player into things other than headphones often (car, stereo, etc).

In terms of navigation, the Mini is quite a bit superior in finding music and playlisting. The software on both players is easy to rip with and transfer music, but iTunes offers far greater playlist functionality, generally better software design and better drag & drop control, both in and out of the software.

Remotewise, the optional remote on the Mini is basic, while the HD5 can have the RM-MC40ELK display remote plugged into it.

Connectivity wise the Sony has a built in USB minijack while the iPod has a proprietary dock socket, (so in either case, you'll need to carry a cable with you if you want to hook into a variety of computers) which allows interfacing to a huge range of third party accessories.

In terms of being able to plug into work/school/home computers, the iTunes is a single executable and the installation can be launched directly off the iPod without a reboot. Also there are a wide range of third party tools allowing you to get music in and out of the iPod easily. In the case of the HD5, you need to download software from the web (40MB-ish) and reboot, and it is not possible to add music to the HD5 from another PC until you wipe everything on the HD5 first.

Extras... The Mini has the notes and organiser functions. The HD5 is purely a music player, albeit still not very well sorted out in this regard compared to the iPods. The vaunted 'follow turn' feature of the HD5 is utterly useless. Who holds a player perpendicular to the ground as they're powering it on anyway?

That's about the main things at the moment. If there's anything else you want to know, dangle the question! I have both.

5. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you thought about the hd3, its smaller, nicer and cheaper than the hd5 pluss less prone to button cracking.

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The HD3 has a crappier screen, even less developed player features than the HD5 and you have to hold it like a deformed crab to get at all the controls. The HD3 has had headphone jack problems as well as a recall based around the control 'circle'. The only real advantage of the HD3 is lower price now that it's superceded. I had no reason to keep it in favour of the HD5.

With the 20Gb iPod being no thicker, no wider and only 1.5cm or so longer, I would still recommend it over the HD5 but for some, size (and ultimate battery life, whether they actually use it or not) matters. The Mini is smaller.

7. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own either, but based on software alone I would go iPod. I should add that historically I'm a bit of a Sony junkie but SS versus iTunes - no contest!!

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    money wise HD5

9. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crappier screen looks EXACTLY the same to me, and all it does is tell you what your looking at anyway, its monochrome so quality isnt really an issue.

hold it like a deformed crab what the fudge! its fine for me and i have been using it without looking remotley like a crustacean for a good few months now.

the recall was for a far far smaller number than seem to be effected with the hd5 buttons, look for threads here re the hd3 buttons and then the hd5 you will see what i mean, mine is in the serial range and its totaly fine.

i have heard of no headphone jack probales at all, mine is totaly fine and i havent seen a single thread here or a recall from sony stating anything about that.

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure what you are basing that on. The HD5 has a line-out, the mini does not. And the HD5 sounds A LOT better plugged into external amps.

Can't comment on what the mini sounds like using the line-out on the cradle, but surely you wouldn't have the cradle in the car anyway?

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    There are any number of third party car docks which you just sit the Mini in without any setting changes. With the HD5, you plug in the cable and work through the menu to change the audio output. Why do you guys comment without actually using these damned things?

I love that.

Demonstrated are hand positions to have the transport and volume controls at your fingertips while maintaining a secure hold on the player. :devil:

12. PJD007

PJD007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Before reading this forum I was looking at a 6GB IPOD mini but I think I'm now going to go for a HD5 (I always end up with Sony products !).

The only thing against the Sony is SS which personally I think in some people's case is more to do with their PC than the software.

Yeah there's more accessories for the pod but other than maybe a remote and a case I won't need anything else.

At the end of the day my MP3 collection is currently around 4GB so a 6GB player won't last long before I have to remove some tracks, why do that when I can have them all on a 20GB player !

Right I'm off to search the web for the cheapest price for a HD5, any links for this appreciated.

Thanks for the replies, glad I came here first.

13. davisneil

davisneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have had both types of players. I definatley think you should get an hd5. The software thing you are worried about wont be too bad either. All you would need to do is use itunes to rip and manage your music, and then you can drag and drop into sonicstage all the songs. thus all sonic stgae does is copy them onto ur player...best of both worlds. thats how i do my music.

Get a black one though..the silver ones look like they have a defect in the buttons. My black hd5 has bee in use for weeks now and my buzzers are fine!

14. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I agree with you on this. I use a pretty new, high spec, Sony Vaio laptop which already had SS on it. I tried my level best to like using SS but after downloading iTunes the contrast is significant. Unless Sony do something radical to the SS software, then I'm afraid I will never go Sony as far as mp3 players are concerned (and, as mentioned previously, I am a bit of a Sony junkie).

Sounds like you're going with the HD5 though, so best of luck with it and hope you enjoy. :smashin:

15. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Sorry meant to reply to 007.

If you enjoy flabby base, hissing sounds and buttons that fall apart and the horrific software then buy a sony. If I was you I would buy a 6gb I-pod, a dock and sone decent sennheiser earphones as the mini is the best 4 to 6gb mp3 player. Check recent review in What Hifi Sound and Vision Magazine. Only one that comes near is the Rio Carbon. :hiya:

16. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Gerbilly - FACT: The HD3 has better bass than an iPod. I won't comment on whether that makes it sound better, because that is entirely based on opinion. But playing the same song (Chingy - He's Herre) through Sennheiser HD 497s on my HD3, there bass was considerably more...erm...bassy than my mates iPod Photo. And that is playing the same file as well, as he emailed it to me.

As I said previously, you can decide for yourself if it sounds better (and I know you prefer the sound of the iPod). But it is a fact that, at least on this song, the bass was far stronger through my HD3 than through his iPod. And it certainly was not "flabby".......although i'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.

17. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's a fact... with low impedance phones. Playing back the same file on my Sony Qualia 010 headphones, there's almost no difference. Throw a Koss Portapro, KSC-35/75, etc into the mix and the HD3/iPod are much more evenly matched for bass.

18. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have absolutely NO idea what u are on about, ed!!

I will take your word for it though..... ;) :rolleyes:

19. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

When I listened to the HD3 it sounded very heavy with the bass more so than the i-pod, but it didnt sound under control and it began to annoy me a little as it was distorting the other elements of the music. Today I listened to the first daft punk album which is very bass heavy and it sounded great if the bass was more powerful it would have been a pain and would dominate all the other elements of the music.
    I use the term flabby as I feel the bass is loose and not under control.
    The thing is though you are a sony fan and I am a pod fan, I think if someone is considering buying a new mp3 player they should listen to them all with the same earphones before they make a decision. I just have to even the balance with the sony fan club on here by telling new buyers the pod is great and they should not be afraid to buy one because it is as Johann would call it " Common" or as I would call it "popular" :D

20. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gerbilly, I agree with the sentiment. However, I waltzed into our local Currys recently with this very intention and looked eagerly at the 4-5 players that I had been considering. My next thought was "even if they let me try out all these players, how can I compare them?". I'm not sure they come with music loaded on them but even if they did, the ideal test would be to load an identical track, with exactly the same properties, on to each player and then spend an hour or so comparing.

I didn't even bother asking them if they were prepared for me to do that! :(

21. PJD007

PJD007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Am I right in thinking though that you have no control over the sound on an IPOD mini i.e. no EQ and no base and treble settings ?

22. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Second thoughts PJD? I thought you were settled on the HD5. :smashin:

23. PJD007

PJD007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I will be going for the Sony but just convincing myself !

24. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From experience, I know how esily done that is!! :D

25. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    do you listen to mix-cd's? if so, the sony atrac files will play 'gapless' while the mp3 on the ipod will have a noticeable gap between tracks

26. PJD007

PJD007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that.

Just when you think you everything something else comes up.

Sony HD5 ordered now.

So just replacement ear phones to decide on now, that is if the stock ones are crap !

27. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    sorry...where did you order from?

28. sparm

sparm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to buy an mp3 player but I've yet to see people talk about one issue which I think is very important; gaps between tracks.

I mostly listen to dance music that is mixed between tracks. I have found that importing music into Itunes will automatically put a gap between tracks with no option to turn this off. This also occurs in Media Player but only when burning as MP3. WMA is fine and leaves no gaps. For this reason I'm thinking of going for an mp3 player that supports WMA.

This may not seem like an important issue to most, but for me it is very irritating listening to a little gap whist in a mix.

So I want to know, if anyone does, what mp3 player has the best software for ripping my CDs without gaps between tracks, storing them on my hardrdrive by album not artist, downloads the correct information about CDs and generally isnt a pain in the arse to use?

I'm leaning towards an HD5 but I'm not sure if it support WMA or not and if you can use Media Player with it. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,
    S

29. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    sonicstage supplied with the sony models does it 'gapless' - i've just tested it myself this afternoon with sasha 'involver' - all good :thumbsup:

it is one of my frustrations with my ipod at present, hence i'm looking at one of the sony's too.

stuart

30. emqav

emqav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IPOD mini or HD5 ?

I would certainly, without any hesitation, go for the HD3 model !
    Better sound then iPod and much better looking then HD5 !