1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod mini help please.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Sulley75, Aug 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Sulley75

Sulley75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Hi!!

Ok, i have just got one of these and i have 2 questions..

1. Can u turn up the recording volume somehow??

2. Will increasing the bitrate increase the quality? Some tracks distort slightly when i select some equaliser settings.

Other than this i love it.

ANy help appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary. :clap:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    What bitrate are you currently using for recording ?
    I rip my CDs using Itunes on the PC and generally use AAC 192kbps. You do get better sound using higher than that, but my 40Gb Ipod would not be big enough if I used 320kbps.

3. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Skydive. What are you using to rip the CDs? Which software? I use Exact Audio Copy and it is brilliant at 192KBs (with the Lame encoder) you should get no distortion unless you are tampering to the extreme with the equaliser. Do a search for it on Google and grab the App.

Secondly for general sound level you can use an app like MP3gain that will normalise all your MP3s to be a consistent volume level and increase it if you like. Essential unless you want to be using the volume buttons a lot everytime you change album on your Ipod. Ofcourse you can set normalise settings in the Exact Audio Copy app for when ripping as well. One again search for MP3gain on Google too.

Hope that helps.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    The current versions of iTunes automatically lower the volume level of ripped music, if you are finding it too low then try the software at the link below which will apply a selectable boost to the volume levels. As for bitrates a higher bitrate will usually give you a noticeable increase in quality although this is dependant on other factors as well. I suspect that you could do with a better pair of earphones as the ones supplied with the iPod are pretty rubbish. I recently purchased a pair of Shure E2C earphones and they are fantastic, wouldn't go back to anything else. The Shure E2C retail at about £80 and can be bought from a lot of high quality audio dealers.

euPOD Volumeboost

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    good point about headphones. I'm using Sennheisser PX200s as I can't stand the type that go into your ear.

6. weleasewoger

weleasewoger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just got the 20Gb 4th Gen iPod and I think its great apart from the volume level - I like to play my music loud (yes I know its bad for my ears) but the max volume output on the iPod is somewhat tame for my liking - anyone else think that and are there any firmware updates to allow greater volume?

Thanks everyone

WW

7. Chickster

Chickster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if this works but if you go to your library in iTunes and right click on a song, click get info, click options, there's a volume adjustment setting. By default all songs are set at 0. Not sure but maybe if you adjust this to a +value then the songs will have a greater volume.

Anyone tried this?

8. Sulley75

Sulley75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have tried euPod and i seem to have probs with it distorting.

Tried raising level in get info bit too and it seems real flat.

Maybe headphones will help??

Bit disappointed with this really so hoping for some kind of fix for it soon to make me smile about it again. :)

9. cygnus

cygnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John , I just bought those Sennheisser PX200s headphones , all, I can say is Awesome!

I feel sorry for those people who are still using those aweful white ear phones that come with the ipod , they don't realise they are only getting half the sound!

:hiya:

10. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chickster is dead right with this one, if you click on the file in itunes then in file enter into 'get info' you can up the volume by 100%, when you connect your ipod to your pc it will automatically update the new volume , its amazing to hear the difference, that way you need not turn up the volume so loud which will reduce the distortion effect.

other things to bear in mind, do not use the R and B eq setting as this seems to distort the sounds most out of all of the e.q. I have also found tha the higher the bitrate the better quality and reduced distortion effect, however if youve only got 5 or 6 gig your a bit limited on this. another thing to try is making sure the 'sound check' function is on in your ipod, this levels all the songs so you dont get peaks and troughs between song volumes

I have had until recently the e2c headphones that someone has already mentioned but have gone back to the sony ex71's which provide a much more deeper bass sound and are not as harsh as the e2c

11. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    All these volume control systems artificially increase the volume and this is why it will be distorting.
    Download GOPOD as this this removes the eu volume cap and allows the volume to go at higher levels. Like John I also copy at 192 and this I find is perfect.