Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ipod Line-Out Cable

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by stevearliss, Jun 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to my ipod through the cd charger input of my car stereo but have to plug a jack lead into the headphone socket. Having looked at a couple of threads it appears that the headphone signal is not as good as the line-out on the dock.

Does anybody know whether you can get a cable that will provide a line-out signal from an ipod without having to use the dock. i.e. I want a cable with the bespoke ipod plug on one end and a 3.5mm jack plug (or preferably socket) on the other.

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers; also just discovered the pocketdock; as I already have a 3.5mm lead coming from the head unit, the pocketdock may be the easier, although more expensive solution.

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't suppose you know of a car mountable cradle that has something like the Sik Imp built in? I've seen the ones that also have a built in FM Transmitter or battery backup, but not ones with just line-out and charger.

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. stevearliss

stevearliss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have seen that one; unfortunately, the cigar lighter position rules it out as you said.

The Sik Imp definitely does what I originally wanted, it is just that having come across so many 3rd party ipod accessories today, I would hate to find a cradle with a build in connector after I have bought the Sik Imp.

It is a shame there isn't a single site for all ipod accessories!

8. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another way (a bit Heath Robinson) to mount the CarDock if you're interested. The cigar lighter connector bit disconnects easily from the main body of the CarDock, terminating in a standard (I think a 5.1mm low-voltage connector) male plug. With a corresponding female connector wired into the car's electrical supply directly (missing out the cigar lighter altogether), it's a simple matter of attaching the CarDock to the dashboard with, say, sticky pads. Positioned carefully, no wires need be visible and it looks neatly integrated.

9. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The PocketDock is a wee bit expensive - cost me £24 after conversion from € ordered from their website. I got the USB/line-out version so I can also use it a portable HDD. It shipped from Germany and arrived in 2 days (impressed!). It also comes with 3.5mm-3.5mm and 3.5mm-RCA leads. They're match the iPod, but are a bit thin - the £2 one I got from TVCables.co.uk has more bass weight.

I'm tempted to go the aux-input route for the car just to get better quality than via the iTrip the downside being it won't charge the iPod. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of doing it properly and sticking an aftermarket headunit in with an iPod interface eg Alpine, Blaupunkt.