iPod Library Corrupt

d18set

Standard Member
Hi

I went into my iPod library this morning as I wanted to update my Podcasts and got a message saying that my iPod library was corrupt and to run the Chkdsk facility. :mad:

Can anyone advise on what or how to do this? I am concerned that I do not want to lose all of the information on my iPod so don't want to do something before I am 100% confidence of what I am doing.

Incidentally we have 2 iPod libraries on our computer (one for me and one for my girlfriend). There is no problem with her library at the moment.

Would appreciate any help.

:lease:

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Chkdsk is a utility that scans your disk and has an option to attempt a repair. First though, can you confirm which operating system (XP, Vista...) you are using, and whether your girlfrinds library is on the same user logon id (when you switch on the PC, not into iTunes) or her own.

It would also be useful to know if the atual music files (mp3 or whatever format you use) are still intact. It may be that it is just library database file is corrupt.

Chris

d18set

Standard Member
Chkdsk is a utility that scans your disk and has an option to attempt a repair. First though, can you confirm which operating system (XP, Vista...) you are using, and whether your girlfrinds library is on the same user logon id (when you switch on the PC, not into iTunes) or her own.

It would also be useful to know if the atual music files (mp3 or whatever format you use) are still intact. It may be that it is just library database file is corrupt.

Chris
Thanks Chris

It is Windows XP, and both libraries are on the same login to the computer (we just toggle between them using the shift key to select library when going into iTunes).

It is worth noting that I have not even plugged my iPod in since got this error (and the iPod still seems to work). Since changing to my Girlfriends library to check it works it will now no longer allow me back into my library - it just says "the iTunes library cannot be found or created".

You asked if the music files are still intact. Presumably I can check this by going to the library via Windows Explorer?

Appreciate your help. As I said my biggest concern is losing all of the music / info stored on the computer.

Simon

ChrisAV

Novice Member
It sounds like the itunes library (database) may be corrupt. You can try running chkdsk but I doubt it would fix it (if you go to 'my computer' and right click on the 'c' drive, select properties and it's on the tools tab, there's a tick box to correct errors).

Don't suppose you have a backup?

Anyway, check the files through explorer, if you used mp3 format you should be able play them with media player. Assuming they are intact, you could try creating a new iTunes library and then adding the exisiting folders into it.

Chris

d18set

Standard Member
Thanks for your help Chris!

Have run the chkdsk and it appears to be working now!

Cheers

Simon

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Thanks for your help Chris!

Have run the chkdsk and it appears to be working now!

Cheers

Simon
Lucky - it's never fixed any problems I've ever had!

Anyway, glad it's sorted. :)

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom