1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod & itunes sync help required

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by inzaman, Aug 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    My ipod and itunes have become way out of sync, i have reformatted the ipod and uninstalled and reinstalled itunes but this is the problem i keep getting;

The ipod itself shows no songs at all on it, as it wouldnt because i have formatted it, yet itunes thinks that it has used 6.85gb of space even though in itunes when i look at my ipod drive there are no songs in it, playlists nothing. I have tried to resync and it copies all the songs over, yet when i look at my ipod there is nothing on it, the itunes then thinks that i have used 11gb of space on my ipod, my total library within itunes is 3.95gb.

I am have installed the new software on my ipod and installed the latest version of itunes.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,898
    This is really weird. I wonder if it's worth copying your itunes music folder to another location (assuming you have room on your hard drive) and then delete the whole library using iTunes, then re-synch the iPod to try and get them both thinking that there's nothing at all. You can then copy the music back to the right location and find the tracks again with iTunes.
    The above is only a suggestion as I've never come across this before !
    When you said you formatted it, did you use the initialisation tool that comes with the iPod ?

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Over the past week i have added a few tunes to itunes and went to sync yesterday and noticed that according to itunes i had 3.95gb of music on my local drive (it is an external usb drive) but i tunes was showing over 10gb on my ipod and it never sync'd, just showed it as updating the ipod.

When i took the ipod out of the doc it had not sync'd so i went back into itunes to try again and it kept staing ipod is updated. I used the ipod tool to reset it and it showed in xp as 38gb free. I then uninstalled itunes and loaded the latest version and still no joy. I have even deleted the ipod registry within the pc but it still knows that it is not a new ipod, for some reason.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Also after this and nearly throwing the thing out of the window i decided to install i tunes on my hcpc, this is not connected to the internet at all.

This installed fine, as i had cleared the ipod down on my lap top it said it did not need to be formatted etc and it has now given my ipod a new name, i.e Stephens ipod. This has sync'd fine and now works, so i know that it is not my ipod (thank goodness) so it must be my lap top and some registry setting somewhere.

The only problem i now have is that music purchased through itunes will not play on my hcpc and i cannot register that computer as it is not connected to the internet, is there a way round this? i.e if i burn the purchased music from the usb drive to a cdr will it lose the encryption or whatever it is that is stopping me from doing this.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Also as my ipod now has a new name, from my hcpc, would this be messed up if i plugged it back into my lap top? i.e the laptop that seemed to have got confused in the first place, cheers.

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Inza

The songs downloaded from iTunes will always have a copy flag on them.

As far as I know the only way round the flag would be to copy onto CD then re-record via analogue phono leads from your CD player on to a "CD home recorder" and then put the "new" CD into your PC to upload onto iTunes

7. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

No need for the phono lead and home-recorder bit. Just burn to CD using iTunes, and re-rip them back as mp3/aac. Unfortunately, they'll have two lots of compression...so it's a matter of whether or not you can live with that.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Shouldn't need to, seeing as the songs are allowed to be copied to 3 computers.
    Converting then re-converting a lossy codec, will sound pretty average at best.
    Name change on the iPod will not affect its use on the laptop.

If you need answers, go to Apple's Knowledge Base - http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ and see what you can find.

I'd opt for checking the iPod with any Utility that allows you to view hidden files/folders, over and above XP's in-built folder options. Something like YamiPod or PodUtil from www.versiontracker.com. If it helps locate any files of MP3/AAC's, then delete them.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    I tried that first but there was nothing about the problem i was having.

I might plug it back to the lap top and see what happens, i might also try the software in the links, cheers.

There are not that many songs so i might try this, tbh i compress my cds at aac 256 and they do sound far better than the music purchased through itunes through a stereo, through the headphones there is not much in it imo.

Thanks for the pointers guys.