iPod installation problems

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Big Al, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just picked up a brand new 60GB ipod photo for the bargain price of £199.00 at the What Hi Fi show in London.

My jubilation is turning to disappointment as I cannot get the iPod recognized.

I started an install using the USB2 ports on the front of my desktop PC and assumed it all went OK. However checking the manual I noticed that the iPod wasn't charging, indicating a problem. After much messing about I discovered none of the front USBs would support the iPod but the rear two would.

I uninstalled Ipod setup and reinstalled .I now get to the screen saying that my iPod needs to be formatted. When i click the format button i get the message"There was an error communicating with iPod. Please disconnect and reconnect iPod. I do this and the problem carries on the same.

I've managed to get the iPod working on my laptop and imported the library folder off of my desk top pc on to the laptop and then onto the iPod.

I would still prefer to have everything working off of the desktop pc though.

Any ideas?
    Cheers

Big Al

2. jenufa

jenufa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    go and have a look at the ipodlounge.com site you will get help there

3. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It could be that the two USB ports on the front are not USB2, hence no communication with the iPod, but that does not explain your other problems. However I would agree with jenufa. ipodlounge is a great source of assistance.

4. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jenufa

Thanks, I'll head on over to ipodlounge

Simon1000

The four ports on the front are a USB2 patch bay which connects to the 2 ports on the back of my computer, it appears the 2 at the rear are high powered but the 4 at the front are not.

Although the ipod doesnt show in iTunes I can see it in my computer but as a drive and not an iPod. if I click the safley remove icon it is correctly lisited as an iPod?

Big Al

5. koshatnik

koshatnik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats one thing I noticed with my wife's ipod - it needs a high powered USB port otherwise it doesn't work. Took me a few hours to work that out :mad: Stupid Apple.

6. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my 30GB photo. I ended up buying a Firewire cable to Ipod - problem solved!!!!

Sorry just found this info on another thread
    "just had a quick look on the net and apparently you can still charge them through firewire but you can't transfer files. The hardware needed would make the new ipods a bit fat and more expensive"

7. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Problem finally sorted :thumbsup:

It seems none of my USB ports put out enough power to work. I connected the iPod via a spare powered 4 port USB hub and lo and behold the iPod was found!:clap:

Looks like I've upgraded my PC beyond it's power supply!

Many thanks for eveyones help

Big AL