• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ipod instal disk

neilo

Banned
does anyone know where i can get the software for a 3g ipod , has lost my instal disk :-(

M

mick's cat

Best to make sure you've got the latest version of iTunes anyway (v4.7.1 I think).

Next, check connections between the iPod and the computer are OK. Does Windows Explorer (or the Finder if you're on a Mac) ie, not iTunes, see the iPod? If you have a Mac formatted iPod on Windows it won't see it until the iPod is reformatted in Windows format (although the Mac will see a Windows formatted iPod), unless you've got a third-party utility like MacDrive installed which allow you to read Mac formatted disks.

Next, go to Apple's support area for the iPod:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

and run through all the checks and procedures. You may need to restore the iPod (it's all covered in the support area site). Keep us posted.

neilo

Banned
Hiya
the ipod is already windows formatted....when its plugged in the Pc doesnt give it a drive number , but the pod charges

M

mick's cat

OK, my bet is that it needs restoring, but it'll be best to go through all the suggested steps in the support area first anyway to isolate anything else. One other thing, have you tried it with another computer to check if it's to do with your PC?

neilo

Banned
has tried to restore etc but it doesnt see that my ipod is plugged into the pc

neilo

Banned
there is nothing wrong with the ipod works fine , could it be the dock connecter ? its also way out of warrenty

M

mick's cat

I guess it could be the connector, but as it's charging I'm not sure. Looking at other threads covering similar problems I'm guessing you are using USB. Have you tried the iPod with a computer that has FireWire. If you're close to an Apple dealer you could take it in and see if they'll plug it into a Mac (which uses FireWire) to get it restored. Whereabouts in the UK are you (assuming you're in the UK)?

neilo

Banned
Hiya no im using firewire ... I say a post on the apple site saying just coz its charging doesnt mean the connector is ok , somethng about diff points on the connection Is in london

M

mick's cat

It *does* sound like the connector but rather than pay out for a new one and find it's not that, it's probably worth trying your iPod and dock/connector on another computer first. If you know anyone else with a Mac, or PC with FireWire port, perhaps you could ask them if they could help.

Alternatively, you could take your iPod and dock/connector to an Apple dealer to see if they'd try them out for you to identify the cause of the problem. There are several dealers in London - the Regents Street store (which is a full-blown Apple Store) is most central.

Keep us posted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom