1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod in my Clio

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by famille_lepetit, May 11, 2005.

1. famille_lepetit

famille_lepetit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am new here, so forgive my newbieness :oops:

I just bought an iPod with a view to use it for a long trip (3 weeks) back home to France. My first idea was the FM transmitter, as it was cheap & cheerful.
    Well I bought an Xtreme Mac Airplay, which claimed to be 'better' than the iTrip, and whilst I really 'love' the portability, which cannot be beaten, the sound quality is close to appalling. It'll have to do for the holidays, but if any of you have a quick (leaving in two weeks) option to better the results or improve the sound quality (i.e less hissing & static), I'll take anything.

With a longer term view, I thought I'd ring a local car audio store, who quoted me £340 for replacing the head unit of my 2003 Clio and doing whatever is necessary to get the iPod plugged into the car system.
    After trawling through the net, it seems that there are other options available and potentially cheaper as well... Dension Ice Link & Connects2 ?

Can anyone tell me if they have any experience of installing these, are there any hidden costs, ie other accessories to buy, etc...can a total newbie with a bit of initiative & willingness do the work, etc...

Please help me shine a light through this tunnel !

Olivier

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use the iTrip and have had good experiences with it througout the UK and France last summer.
    Does the Clio have a cassette player? If you do you could purchase a cassette link to the car headunit which plugs into the headphone socket of the iTrip.
    http://www.shop21.uk.com/home.html?target=dept_65.html&lang=en-gb
    If not your best bet is the Dension ice>link or a variant of it. Try this web site for a good forum on iPods in cars, mostly US stuff but you will get a flavour of what is available:
    www.ipodlounge.com/
    Other sites to look at are:
    http://www.ipodmycar.com/
    http://www.essentialipod.co.uk/section.php?xSec=16
    http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/
    Hope you have some success. My Accord is not currently supported by Dension or anyone else :thumbsdow

3. btiffin

btiffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used the i-trip and has horrible experiance with it.

I decided that if i was to appreciate the sound from my ipod there was only one thing for it.. Alpine AI net. £270 down Halfords later and an afternoon rewiring my new stereo and hideaway unit it was ready!

First impressions- "wow!" Sound quality is an incredible difference! No hiss buzz or the general air wave noise.

Downside is the Controlability. It is difficult to navigate through a 350 artist long list to get to madness or similar right in the middle due to the one click per artist function. Its not like the ipod where the faster you go the faster you spin round the list. :thumbsdow

Oh well! All being said the sound quality makes up for it and you will never wanna look back....... just my two cents though

4. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you are in England then halfords sell a Alpine (top car stereo make) cd headunit with an ipod adaptor for £250, plus fitting which is £40 it will be £290 which is reasonable for a make that good.

2 years ago i got an alpine cd headunit on its own which was reduced from £400 to £200, it is excellent.

5. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,518
    I have a Dension Icelink for my G3 ipod in my Alfa 156. It cost £150 to buy and get installed (done by a friend in the trade so cheaper than normal). It works very well, far better than the I-trip I had previously, which used to hiss and crackle and pick up loads of interference when on the move (meaning I was constantly looking for new frequencies).
    I am lucky that my car has stereo controls on the steering wheel, which means I can control basic Ipod functions that way.
    The down side is that the Ipod is on view, but this does mean I can use the scroll wheel if required.

6. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would agree that a hard wired/direct link to the head unit is far superior. However my head unit is not replaceable and as yet there is no ice>link for it. So apart from the possibility of an FM modulator, which is not as good as the ice>link, I am stuck with the iTrip.
    I have to agree that there is some static, more in this model Accord than my previous one. I put that down to the ariel being buried in the rear window.

7. spiritualized

spiritualized

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - valuable !

The Clio's FM aerial is also at the back - would putting the iPod on the back shelf make any difference ?
    As for the Ice-Link, this seems a good compromise - The Alpine HU's bit on the expensive side - especially if I intend to change car within let's say a year or two ?

How much work is there to install the Ice-Link - I have looked around, and the Clio with the VDO Tunerlist is compatible - is it too much for a noob ?

Again ! thanks for your help

8. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Remember that when you install the alpine you can swap it into your new car if you get one. It is a purchase for life, aslong as you dont want more features/better sound in the future you should never have to buy a cd player again.

9. spiritualized

spiritualized

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have made the plunge and got the Ice>Link from caraudioplus. And BOY what a difference :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smashin:

Not only were the people at caraudioplus very helpful, but the sound quality is out of this world !!!
    I would harshly recommend AGAINST any FM Transmitter, when you know that for a premium (cost me £149), you get CD quality music.

The only thing I have to complain oh so slightly about is that there is quite a lot to cram at the back of the head unit if you want to hide these unsightly cables & boxes. The head unit is not exactly flush with the dashboard anymore due to the cable from the cradle going to the back of the radio.

But no doubt in my mind - I should have gone for this first !

Thanks for your help - Olivier

10. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I have one of thoose "tunecasts" from belkin and it was awful in my polo, so i used the cassette method, then i bought a new golf and it didnt have a cassette player, tried the tunecast in it and it was fantastic... :thumbsup: