1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPOD - Importing Music

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by john2303, Feb 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am getting an ipod in a couple of days and I have started to transfer all my music from cd to PC.

What is the best quality file type that I can import to in itunes?

Cheers

John

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you only intend to use the iPod then rip your CD's into AAC format at 128. AAC is acknowledged to be better than MP3 and 128 gives a good balance between quality and size. If you have a 40GB iPod you might increase the rate to 192 as, unless you have a massive CD collection, you will find it hard to fill even at the higher rate.
    Just my 2p's worth!

3. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    I have a 20GB 4G and use 192mp3, mp3 as it's the most common file type and during encoding test providing exactly the same file size and sound quality to me ears. Im far from an audiophile but even to my insensitive ears 128kbps sounded rather naff, so now I stick to 192, eventually I will run out of space so I will re-encode them down to 160. If I ever run out of space at that bit rate then I will upgrade the player rather than lower any further. For the highest possible quality use Lossless, this does results in 10mb+ files which eat space as well as leeching your battery.

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAC at 128kbs has been found to be the approximate equivalent (in sound quality) of mp3 at 160kbs. The file size difference is however much reduced, so obviously better for portable player use. Given the limits of earphones (of any quality, let alone the supplied earbuds) it's doubtful whether you could objectively tell any difference between rates of any format encoded at higher resolution, so you might judge encoding any higher as a waste of disk space.