1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod - How can I transfer my MD collection onto my Ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jk_shepherd, Aug 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jk_shepherd

jk_shepherd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a collection of over 100 MDs that I am desperate to put on my Ipod. How do I go about this?

A friend told me that I need to buy something like the Creative USB Sound Blaster, to ensure good quality. Is that correct?

I also have a vinyll collection that I'd like to put on my Ipod.

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I recorded my vinyl and MD to IPOD I used a freeware program called 'audiograbber' Google it for a download. You can then use a Lame plug in to transfer the music to MP3. This was the only free way I could do it when I last looked in.

Alternatively if you have Nero 6 you could use that and rip to WMA which automaticlly gets converted to AAC or MP3 when you add it to your Itunes library.

No quicker way to record though you will do this at realtime so 100 MDs see you next year! :)

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,754
    I ended up doing just a couple of my favourite MDs as it is fiddly.

4. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,167
    Apologies for slight topic deviation, if you had a sony net MD and bought a sony mp3 player, would the songs be compatible between devices?

5. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    Okay, a little lateral thinking here. I'm guesing the MDs don't contain stuff you're burned from CD, as it'd be a piece of cake to just rip the CD.

So, the easiest way would be to find someone with a DOMESTIC CD recorder & MD recorder. Record your MDs on to CDs and then rip those on to your PC/Mac.

Steve W

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

If you have the music tracks in OpenMG / Sonicstage, yes. If anything else, no.

7. sazza42

sazza42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad someone has asked this question. I want to transfer MD stuff onto my HD5 & was wondering if it was possible or not. I have concentrated on getting my cds on first, but that's my next project. I find it really irritating that I will have several albums by one artist on my HD5, but not a complete collection as all the rest I only have on MD or vinyl.

8. sulk

sulk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a Hi-MD, and have any MD's that used Open MG, or SS, since Hi-Md's act as a external hdd when conencted to computers, you could copy the files from there, if you really needed to. As theyre all there, just inside a folder.

-Sulk

9. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Part of the MiniDisc specification includes SCSM (Serial Copy Management System) which prevents you digitally copying data off of a MiniDisc, therefore the CD/MD recorder would most likely not work unfortunately. You can get Pro grade MD equipment that gets around SCSM but it's not your normal hifi.

Best you could probably do is record to a file through an analog input on your sound card.

10. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Only Hi-MD's or MD's formatted as Hi-MD. Not old MDs or Net MD recorded MD's. And even if you're referring to Hi-MD, those files are encrypted.

Most soundcards ignore SCMS, and in any case they allow one additional digital generation.

I guess it pays to actually try these things before plucking answers out of the air.