1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IPOD Help!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tobyjuggler, Aug 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hope I know what I'm talking about here..I'm posting on behalf of my ickle brother!

He has an IPOD Photo (40GB) and has transferred a lot of tunes from PC to IPOD via iTunes, but somebody has now deleted the MP3 directory on his PC, so there is nothing showing up in iTunes anymore. He reckons that when he reconnects his IPOD to his PC, iTunes will automatically wipe all the tracks off his IPOD because they're no longer listed in iTunes.

1). Is this true?
    2). If so, how do you stop that from happening?
    3). Once you have your tunes on the IPOD, do they really also need to be stored on your PC too or can they be removed?
    4). If so, is there any way to copy the tunes back from his IPOD to his PC.

Basically, how does he avoid losing what he's already copied across and carry on using his IPOD and iTunes in the normal way without having to reburn all his CDs?

Thanks for your help!

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Okay - first things first. Has the MP3s on the HDD been deleted, or just the .xml file that iTunes uses to make a note of which files are in the Library? If the MP3s are all there, wherever they're stored, then simply grab them and drop onto open iTunes panel. This'll create a new Library and .xml files in the iTunes Music folder (assuming it's like the Mac's heirarchy).

1) This will only happen if he had the iPod set to auto sync, If not, then no.

2) With iTunes open, connect iPod and quickly select the Preferences option and select Manual update. If any popup displays, select No/Cancel.

3) As per above, if auto update disabled, then you're free to remove all unwanted songs from the Library and the MP3's themselves as well.

4) There's a number of utilities out there on versiontracker or linked from ipodlounge.com that show the hidden folders on the iPod, and allow you to pull them onto the HDD. With the recent updates to the iPod, all songs are now encrypted (so to speak). You'll see the songs on the iPod are something like AJUYSO.aac or .mp3 rather than Bat_Out_Of_Hell.aac or .mp3 - they may retain their original name when you add them to iTunes, but if not, then you're in for a long session of renaming everything again.

Once you do, make a backup of the Library and .xml files, and keep safe. Do so every so often when new songs are added to iTunes, then it'll save this sort of thing from needing done again, should you lose the files somehow, which given it's Windows, is self explanitory.

<ducks for cover from Windowsites, with Machelmet securely in place> ;)

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    If you look at this thread you will see a link to such a utility.

4. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you both. The whole folder containing the MP3's was deleted. Does this contain the .xml file too, or is that kept in the iTunes program directory?

I'll let my bro know what you said about the auto-sync feature that needs to be disabled and just hope he'll be able to disable it before he loses his tunes on his IPOD and use one of those utilities to get them all back on his PC.

5. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you disable it with the player disconnected?

6. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That, I don't know. I have let him know what to do and he'll try this first.

7. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm i was peeking around Itunes...i dont have an ipod, but I couldn't find anything that had reference to SYNC or anything.....there was an 'Ipod' tab in preferences that had nothing except "no ipod connected" so im guessing the setting is in there.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yep, that's it - only active when you insert iPod. If auto sync enabled, then it'll wipe the iPod. It might even wipe some before the option has been changed - can't recall fully as I've always manually done the update, because of this feature. An option to proceed would be better design, butthen it's one more step of user involvement, and I guess enough people haven't complained about it to get Apple to redesign it.

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124

There should be a folder in iTunes called Music or iTunes Music, and 2 files - one Library, the other Library.xml.
    If the MP3s are gone, then they'll need to be pulled off the iPod and added to the folder where they were. If the Mp3s AND the Lirary files are gone, then it's a case of getting the Mp3s off the iPod, and adding them to the iTunes panel. This'll recreate the Library files again, but some settings might need redone before it's the way it was.
    You'll find out where the MP3 should be - iTunes>Preferences>Advanced - the location will be the default directory, unless it's been changed. If it was changed, and is showing the default, then you'll need to correct this.

10. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Something like this happened to a friend once and I think all he did was plug in the iPod without iTunes already being open.

This means that iTunes automatically fires-up so as soon as the window appears be poised with your cursor in the top right-hand corner ready to close it before any syncing/erasing can take place. Then you can use a third-party program (I've always used Ephpod) to copy songs from the iPod back onto the PC.

If you don't want to risk that (after all, I wasn't there when he did it :rolleyes: ), why don't you just un-install iTunes (since the music and Library files no longer exist) and then plug-in the iPod. As there's no longer anything for the iPod to sync with, nothing will be erased. Then it's just a matter of copying the songs from the iPod back onto the PC with third-party software, and downloading and installing the latest iTunes. Is there a reason this wouldn't work ?

11. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    None other than it's Windows. Doesn't like overwriting the same data on a reinstall, so you need to make sure all remnants of the unistalled one are gone.

12. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help, peeps. I've let him know what to do. Hopefully, he'll get it right!

13. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SO Itunes ISN'T that good If it wipes your IPOD without option! lol.....SonicStage how now got prime spot!

14. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking at a Creative Zen Touch for myself. Hope they don't suffer the same 'feature'. Are they a decent machine?

15. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use Media player 10 for Creative players, which is very good and easy to use, their 'sync' function doesnt work the same way, it only adds new tracks, i dont think it removes any. In my exerience anyway. The touch is huge though.....Hd5 is like the size of its battery and sonys battery lasts longer.