1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod help needed

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MARTIN TURNER, Dec 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my hard drive on my pc has gone belly up losing two ipod libraries in the process being a computer novice i need the simplest way to retrieve the libraries from the ipods before i lose them. i bviosly cant just put theem back on the new hard disk as when they autosync yhey will find itunes empty and clear themselves off.thx guys. :lease:

2. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can disable auto-synchronisation in iTunes.

Could you do that and then transfer the libraries from iPod to PC?

3. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turn off auto sync within iTunes and enable disk mode
    Use copy pod (freeware) to extract the music files from your ipod http://www.copypod.net/
    Recreate the library folder using iTunes and then re-synch.

Not sure if you can fully backup playlists, ratings etc with the latest version, but you can definitely extract all your music files.

4. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    jason, it states that the software is a trail version....did u get it form somewhere else?

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it from the link above, but I may have an earlier version as I've had it a while.

Looks like it's only $9.50 and to be honest it's worth it for the peace of mind of being able to back up your iPod. If it's just to rescue the files though, you can stick with the trial version.

6. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. LinkinRuss

LinkinRuss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    quick question, once u transfer music over to ipod, theres no way of improting it bak onto pc using itunes? is me correct, cos if i am then i would glady invest in 9.50 for copypod

8. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's correct, once it's on iTunes will not extract it.

CopyPod's great and worth $9.50
    Never used iPod Agent, but since it's a beta it's currently free, and seems to offer more features.

9. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for all the help guys i will have a go saturday.got a mate coming round who reckons he will be able to do it. i will let u know how it ends up.

10. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for everybodys help with this ipod saved on sat......but new problem.... rebuilt hard drive has brand new windows xp which apparently wont let me access the apple musicstore.....tried sat nite but comes up with a msge about xp security settings...thx in advance guys.

11. Jake_Ice

Jake_Ice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so i just got a new Ipod Nano 3rd generation 4GB, and it should hold up to 1000 songs rufly, but it says i only have like 60 mb left and i only have about 750 ish songs, at an average of 4:00 minutes long, and i have no video's or Pictures, an the original hardware that say Other isnt holding my other like 1.5GB so where did it, go, or how do i contact apple, becasue it is gipping me.