• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ipod hell

srobbo999

Standard Member
My dozy brother in law bqought his daughter an ipod without realizing that he needed a computer to upload music to it :suicide:

She brought it round last night, with a load of cd's for me to load on. I loaded the ipod software c/w itunes, put the cd's into the playlist and then connected the ipod via usb 2. According to the manual itunes should have recognised the ipod and transferred the playlist over. Of course nothing of the sort happened :mad: .

The ipod was not recognised by itunes. I looked in the troubleshooting section of the manual and reset the ipod, nothing doing. So I read further and decided to try updating or resting the software with ipod updater. All I got was a message saying that the "ipod could not be docked". I even tried putting the ipod into disk mode to try updating the software, same message.

The other thing i noticed was that the ipod kept switching itself on and off when it was connected and everytime i disconnected it it reset itself and kept asking me what language to use.

I went on to the apple site and downloaded the latest version of itunes and updater. Still no good.

Any ideas, is it the ipod, or is it the pc??

Oh and yes the ipod was formatted for windows. :)

M

mick's cat

There's a possibility the computer's USB port is incompatible or not set up correctly. Have you used the computer with any other USB device? Can you see the iPod in Windows Explorer?

Anyway, you need to isolate whether it's the iPod or the computer, by trying the iPod on another computer. If you live anywhere near an Apple dealer, take the iPod there and they'll try it for you.

Keep us posted.

srobbo999

Standard Member
No the usb port works fine on all other devices, windows recognises the ipod, its just the bloody apple software that won't.

The other thing I noticed was that when I connected the ipod my pc slowed right down and I had problems opening and closing programmes.

I think that it must be a problem with the ipod as my neice tells me that she tried on a friends computer and it promptly crashed the pc.

:confused:

JUS

I haven't had any of the problems you mention. The trouble shooting in iTunes is pretty good as is the website. Are you running windows with the required patch level? .....I had to install SP4 for win2000 (I think it was).

M

mick's cat

srobbo999 said:
No the usb port works fine on all other devices, windows recognises the ipod, its just the bloody apple software that won't.

The other thing I noticed was that when I connected the ipod my pc slowed right down and I had problems opening and closing programmes.

I think that it must be a problem with the ipod as my neice tells me that she tried on a friends computer and it promptly crashed the pc.

:confused:
Well that looks like the iPod then. Try the Apple support suggestions here:

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod/

and if there's nothing there to help, request service here:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/

They send a box out to put it in, arrange a carrier to pick it up, and have it returned promptly. Keep us posted.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom