1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod headphones for jogging - Definitive answer required!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rimibar, Aug 2, 2005.

1. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All hail regular visitors to the Headphone & Headphone Amps forum!

It's my first time in this part of the forums so apologies in advance for not being very knowledgable about headphones!

My wife has a mini iPod, and she wants to start jogging with it. The headphones she received with the iPod constantly drop out of her ears, and I would like to know what options we have. I understand that there are "over the ear phones" which may solve this problem.

Don't want to spend anymore than £30, need to sound good (read good enough for wife!), and need to stay jammed in her lugs.

I have looked elsewhere in the the threads for a definite answer but nothing so far - hence the title.

:lease: Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

R

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Apple have their own in-ear earphones for about £40. You can get attachements for the standard iPod earphones from Griffin Technology - imported by ammicro for £10 or so - which turn the earphones into in-ear ones.
    Alternatively, spend the extra and go for something like the Shure E2c's for £50 ish from amazon.
    Have a look here.

3. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for this pjskel - how about these Sony MDR-EX8's?

Anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks again,

R

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    No idea, sorry. Never tried them.
    Use the link above and you can read the review of the Fontopias - should equate with the ones you've linked to.
    If the Mrs. keeps the iPod hidden from view, then consider the Future Sonics - good set of phones for the money, almost equaling the more expensive Shure E3c. Review link at bottom of page in the above link - just like the Fontopia's.
    They're definitely les conspicuous and may make a potential thief think nothing of them or what she may be carrying.

5. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimibar-

I am in the same situation, but with the added twist that I do not want in-ear phones that prevent the wife from hearing the outside world. There are various articles and threads here and elsewhere suggesting that isolating phones are a bad idea for women running alone.

Still, she tried the Apple in-ear monitors but they are both lousy and fall out easily so those are off the list here. Then I got her some Koss KSC75s that sit on the ear and she found them too floppy while jogging so those are out for her (good thing I like them for more sedentary pursuits). I am going to order her some Koss KSC22s (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/04ProductDetailCall?ReadForm&Portable+Stereophones^KSC22) because I have read elsewhere that these are ideal for running. They are in your price range and similar to the Sonys that you mention above but are lighter and sit more on the outside like earbuds so the noise cancellation is lower. The metal clip is supposed to be pretty adjustable.

Anyway, best of luck in your search and post any good finds or results.

Cheers, V

6. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As for the MDR-EX81, I am no audiophile but I am more than satisfied with this earphone. Sure, you might be able to find the better sounding one but most of them are way more expensive. And with the clean looking design and over the ear clips and the reasonable price, nothing beats this. In the gym, I ran/jump without feeling like the earphone was there. Very comfortable and stable with the new clip design. Again, I am no audiophile and if I was, I am sure I'd gotten $100+ earphones. Ths sound is excellent.

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I would not go running with an I-Pod Mini as you may damage the HD.

8. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Mini iPod is fine for running... i even have the slightly dodgy looking arm band :D

Admittedly a Shuffle may be better as there is no HD to move...

I can second the idea of not being able to hear anything, i ahve some Etymotic ER6i's for my iPod and when wearing them and riding my bike i can't actually hear a thing...not necessarily a good thing, but you can't hear the abuse from people you nearly flatten :D

9. Lotus_elise

Lotus_elise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you think if you can protect your iPod Mini while running? See Here. I expect this case can give enough protection for your ipod mini.

10. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    i've not tried them but i've heard that koss plugs are good for running as i think they fit like the spongy ear defenders you can get.

11. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Definite answer Koss The Plug, Koss Spark Plug ;)

12. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're still looking, I would say don't go for in-ear ones. I've got a pair of Shure e2c 'phones and, while I think they sound really good, if you wear them while running, you will be able to hear the thump of every footstep vibrating up through your body. If I'm in a rush for the train in the morning I really notice it and I'm sure it would be even worse for running (plus there are the issues around not being able to her what's going on around you). I would have thought something like the Sennheiser PX100 'phones would be good for running.

13. Lotus_elise

Lotus_elise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser PX100! They should stay in our head very well!But I worried about the foam may be dirty!

14. sirlukas

sirlukas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    May be dirty, it's normal, but they still are gonna be more hygienic than in ear ones.

Consider Koss Porta Pro, You'd be surprised by the Comfort Zone.