• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

iPod hard drive screwed - replacement where?

stephanbegley

Established Member
Hey guys,

My girlfriend has (had!) a 4g mono 20gb ipod. It won't connect to the pc, it won't mount and freezes. I've tried EVERYTHING - reformatting, slapping it etc and have come to the conclusion that the hard drive is screwed - you can hear it clicking and whirring upon startup.

So, i've decided to try and fit a new hard drive - anyone have experience of replacing them and where to get them? I had the ipod open a few days ago to reseat the hard drive and it's pretty easy to get into.

The main things i want to know are:

1) Is it essential to use a toshiba 1.8" drive or would a similar 1.8" drive do?
2) If sticking with the tosh drive, is it possible to stick a 30gb drive instead of a 20gb drive in there?

I've located the said toshiba drives at dabs.com, and there's not too much difference in price for an extra 10gb on the drives:

http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.aspx?SearchTerms=toshiba%201%208"&SearchMode=All&SearchKey=All&PageMode=3&NavigationKey=0&SearchType=1

Thanks in advance for any help!!

SB

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom