1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod flashed to oblivion.....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Knyght_byte, Oct 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    hullo there,

friend of mine at work was trying to flash his iPod to a better, um, i guess whatever passes as the bios in an iPod...lol....

basically it now doesnt work, doesnt recognise USB or the docking station, but i think he said its display is mentioning firewire for some reason, he doesnt have firewire tho.....

so he is going to give me all the stuf that comes with it and im gonna try and sort it out on my PC.....

does anyone have any knowledge of flashing iPods? its the 4Gb iPod Mini....from what i understand things went like this: tried to flash, was offered choice to upgrade or delete current bios/whatever it is.....so they chose delete, since then doesnt work, only thing is its mentioning firewire....

any thoughts? untill he gives me all the gumpf i have no clue as i never used iPod before, only Muvo..lol

i'll update this once he gives me all the stuff in case i can give more info....

mucho cheerso :)

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Sounds like you've royally screwed the firmware up

I'm no expert though, and won't even defrag a DAP let alone anything else, so best wait for someone else to answer you

3. jbd

jbd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    has he pluged in into a power outlet? you have to plug the firewire cable into the plug adapter into a wall outlet and then the ipod will finish its flash update...

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    THATS THE WORD I WANTED!!!! FIRMWARE!!!...lol

ok, told him what you said jbd, cheers, he will try it when he gets home, if it dont work i'll be back on here tomorrow to get more advice......lol

nice one :)

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    (dont hesitate to offer other advice folks in the meantime please, just in case...lol)

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    I've been told that I have the 'magic touch'

Even if not helping I was helping

7. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Jbd is right after you have run the ipod updater, even if the firmware hasn't been fiddled with, it needs 12volts to get it going hence the reason it asks to be pluged into the wall with the charger/firewire lead or if you have the ipod linked to the pc with firewire it will complete from there.

This site is where I got all my knowledge to put a nicer font and other pictures on the ipod if it helps...

http://www.ipodwizard.net/cmps_index.php