1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod fatigue

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by asherpat, May 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunno about you, but i am suffering from a serious case of ipod-nausea.

i feel sick seeing all those people on the tube, thinkng they look cool and special when wearing the white leads and earbuds. i am tired of the obligatory mention of apple and ipod in all the mags and forums and people religiously rubbishing any other MP3 players.

ipod is a great product and i can also understand that ageing closet anti-globalists want to stick-it up to uncle Bill by supporting Apple, but the thing became a fashionable accesory rather then a music machine (i saw a girl wearing the white phones while chatting with a group of friends in Starbucks). this wud not have been so annoying was it not that you cant open a paper, a site, a forum w/o ipod licking jumping in your face.

Practical questions:

1. Is there a forum/site for poor sods like me who suffer the same condition? Pls advise (actually, there was a relevant article in theregister.co.uk recently);
    2. since most people buy ipod for the ability to show that they are in-fashion by brandishing the white leads and phones, i wonder why there isnt (at least i dont know) any red, orange or striped leads in the market?

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Personal opinions.

1. The iPod offers fairly average sound quality even on the best headphones.

2. The in-the-box headphones, however "cool" they might be, give fairly average sound quality also and are uncomfortable as hell.

If people are happy with the product - fair enough really.

As for your first question - here seems like a goodish place. I'm not a fan of the iPod at all.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    People who use the white headphone are an instant target for muggers, thats why i use different ones. And i use my ipod mini to relieve the boredom that is commuting between work / home / training.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Same here - though got rid of the frankly awful earphones bundled with it a long time ago....

Pete.

5. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Im sick of it aswell. It has become a fashion statement as opposed to an mp3 player. I was in London recentley and the amount of noobs with them was scary. I had the unfortunate experience of walking past the apple store and it was swarming with people ready to sell their souls to Mr Jobbs.

The thing i hate most is the fact that alot (not all) of ipod owners feel the need to have it on display as a sign their allegiance to the cult.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Ipod "noobs" ???

What exactly is that supposed to mean ?

I think you are getting this a little out of proportion . Brand loyalty to apple is no worse than brand loyalty to say ... Sony for example. As for the ipod ...wouldn't have one myself but I can well understand the attraction as seemingly every other mp3 player out there ha organiser software that would make your average tech-head chew their own hands off in frustration over.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I hold my MP3 player in my hand because I mess around with the volume a lot.

When I had an iPod though, I felt a little self-aware and tried to hide it away whenever I could.

8. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in Australia, there are heaps of the so called ipod "noobs" as well...

actually most of my friends have one, and yet they would only store 200mb of songs on it...hmmm

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    Apple should definitely use the anodisation process for mini's on the full sized iPods. Then they could have mini coloured 20/30/60gb iPods, + black, as well as white

10. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no one knows a forum for victims trampled by the white-earbud herd? unipod.com? ipodnausea.net?

by the way, i will sayagain, i have nothing against the product, dont claim anything is wrong with it, except that the hype around it (hypod?) is getting to me.

11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    its the media! Take example of Sony PSP, its not even out in UK until Sept 1st! Before the release date was announced - the media say the PSP is the must have gadget of 2005!

12. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    Every product will have its own fan base, etc, I suppose.

The thing with the white ear buds is that the i-pod costs a substantial amount more than many of its rivals.

Buy a rival and a pair of decent £30 phones, and it'll sound MILES better than an i-pod, and you'll still have change.

Indeed, a decent cassette walkperson with a pair of decent £30 'phones sounds better than an i-pod with its original earbuds - or any other mp3 player with its original phones - I'm not just getting at Apple here. It's just that the i-pod is so expensive.

So anyone who buys one, but not new 'phones, is clearly more interested in the fashion statement than the sound quality.

For me, when I look and see the school kids on the train with their i-pods, I view them in the same way as I view a chav in a Burbery baseball cap. They think they look s-o-o-o-o-o-o cool. Everyone else knows that they look like a complete knob.

Steve W

13. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    You're looking for this forum:http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121622&page=1&pp=20
    all this SQ stuff is subjective anyway. but all those people who get an iPod just for fashion statement is a sad indication of our media influenced world.

But iPod doesn't have bad SQ like you're making out. Buying better 'phones would improve any audio player, not just iPod. Most players come with rubbish stock 'phones. If iPod has bad SQ, Apple wouldn't have got past 2nd gen iPods - style or no style. Consumers are only so stupid/ignorant/naive :)

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    I hate all in ear phones, so have never used the ones that came with my iPod I just use some Sennheiser PX200s.

15. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    what about canal 'phones?

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I happen to like the iPod despite the fact I see it everywhere. In terms of style, oh yeah... definitely suffering from iPod fatigue myself. As a music player in the way it works, am I tired of it? No, it's still easily one of the best out there.

17. mera50cent

mera50cent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yo Any1 out dere wiv a psp

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    Please, no text speak on here :)

19. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havnt yet managed the urge to move from minidisc to mp3 but must admit the ipod is on the top of my list for when i do, not because its cool, but because of the product support and accessories that far outweigh any of its competitors....and of course its ease of use.

When anything becomes popular there is always those who follow a trend and those who oppose. I must admit though, if and when i get one, i would kind of feel a little embarrased using it in public because of the 'nerdy' perception like i have with people using mobile phones and blue tooth headsets in public.
    I would use the remote control and my e2c headphones to be a little more descrete.

I think the fact that this topic has been raised and the constant comparison of all mp3 players as 'ipod killers' raises the hype and realisation that everyone holds the ipod up as the ultimate epitamy (spelling??) of an mp3 player. Its like everything in life, your either a trend follower or you try to be individual, same is said with everything from clothes, cars, holidays, music...whatever, when something become popular it gets slagged off for not being cool anymore

20. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,216
    er......was that English?

21. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    Lukey, you speak much truth.

However, this i-pod-mania has gone a little further than most fads.

"What's on your i-pod?" in Q Magazine, for example. Not "What's on your portable?", or "What's on your Jukebox?", or "What's on your mp3 player?".

I suppose it's a bit like 'hoover'. It's a brand that's become a generic term for all similar products.

However, the reasons for this are pretty clear. It's well known that music journalists are (a) largely dedicated Apple users, and subsequently ready to support anything that clobbers Bill Gates, and (b) incredibly sensitive to not being right in there with the next big thing (they're still smarting after initially criticising punk).

Tied in with a fantastic advertising campaign for the i-pod, and sales have shot up.

It still doesn't stop the i-pod's ubiquitousness being [swear word removed by mod] annoying.

BTW, news from the schools front.

You know the kids in every year group who are a bit different - a bit cutting edge? You remember the ones from school, the ones who always had the singles by bands you'd never heard of...but who were on the front of the NME 3 weeks later? Well, they're all listening on Zen Touchs at my school.

Steve W

22. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes your right steve, everyone seems to search a machine which either classes them as cool or individual. I guess on this forum the hd5 is considered to be the more masculine or adult machine and hence coolest machine where as the ipod is frowned upon as being the more feminine and youthful, it reminds me of a comparison in music where you get get the teeny bopper mass produced stuff which is bought in the millions but isnt classed as cool by the older generation regardless of how popular it becomes. The psychology of this is very interesting but still reminds me of most things in life where your either mainstream, individual or maybes in the middle and dont give a sh*te, i.e you drive a ford, smart or skoda, any I disgress...

Good analogy about the kids from school!, I do remember those, the ones you always aspired to be but who werent the geeks!! I think Ipod was successful as they brought out the right product and the right point in time when mp3 was really taking off and like you said about Hoover they will probably be always be seen as the forerunners of this type of technology.

I do get a little tired of the overexposed hype of the product, reminds me of windows and microsoft, i suppose we have just got to learn to live with it :suicide:

Over the last year ive been looking at a number of mp3 players and have considered a number of machines from the nwhd1, archos gmini 400, philips hd120, iriver all for various reasons but never considered the ipod mainly due to me not wanting to conform to the masses, but deep down after a lot of research it is a machine worthy of its status and i cant get away from that so I need to decide whether i swallow my pride and get one or go against the grain and be a revolutionary...anyway enough said I think :boring: :boring:

23. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,886
    As a 44 year old male, I'm deeply offended by that ;) :D
    To be serious though, the only reason I bought the iPod was because I needed 40GB of space and I was already using iTunes and found it to be excellent, so the obvious choice for me was the iPod.

24. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Whereas if it isn't black and metal, I'm on stony ground so the logical choice for me was an iriver :).

25. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    This is the iPod thread :) (But no, I haven't got one).

I used to own an iPod and the reason I got one is because I just didn't think twice. To me all the other competitors were rickety, badly built etc. and because of the "hoover effect" I barely considered them. Now I'm glad I went back on that and got an HD5.

26. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apart from the the initial aura of coolness and "in" (that by now disappeared for everybody, ecxept aunt Mavis), seems that ipodistas have a strange, football team supporter style loyalty towards a commercial company (come to think of it, all football teams are also commercial enteprises yet supporters believe they are for honour rather than for profit orgs). i know many people who own three, even four ipods (apple ipods that is).

take, for example, the most arrogant product in the world, the "shuffle". it chooses the songs for you, u have little control AND this is presented as the product's main selling point...i mean how stupid does one have to believe in it? I can understand people buying it to wear on their chest as an accessory and as an admittedly cute minimalistic design piece - but not as a player.

Anyway, for my second question at the beginning of the thread:

If one of the main selling points of the ipod range are the distinctive white leads and earbuds, how come (in contrast with changeable faces on the mobile phones for example) there are no color, multuilcolor, technicolor leads/buds by other music player manufacturers?

27. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose its because apple were the first to make a white lead/earphone as part of the iconic branding of its player, in the past leads have always been black so as to be more acceptable and functional. Naturally this is not what the ipod is just about (being just functional i mean), its supposed to be a sign of an association that you have with the brand and provides a perception to other people that your with the 'in' crowd, its like having the latest designer jeans, haircut etc. Because lots of people 'wear' the ipod as opposed to actually buy and use it for what it really is, is the reason why apple have been so successful.....I think!!!

Ive seen other manufactures bring out leads in white and trying to copy the ipod phenomenon and some have brought them out in different colours (panasonic I think) but your right in saying that none of the other mp3 makers have managed have their products identifiable by the colour of the earphones you are wearing :cool:

28. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what really annoys me about the ipod isnt people like you guys who clearly know what they are talking about and if asked could give several reason for owning one, its the people who just get one because its cool,and dont even look at any alternatives.

personly i have a sony hd3, not because i think its cool (though it is) but because i trust sony to make good products, and want great sound quality. (note thats very subjective but personaly i preter the soundof the hd3 to the ipod)

apple seem to go for style over substance and anyone who buys into that is in my opinion and idiot and worthy of my contempt, again that doesnt apply to anyone here with an ipod who obviously have good reasons for getting one and HAVE looked at alternatives.

29. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

There are people who buy loads of products due to them being fashionable, it is not the fault of Apple that many of these people see the i-pod as the must have mp3 player.

However some of us actually have tested all of the players within their price range (I have) and found that it sounded better than the sony, zen and the i-river comparible players. The fact that i-tunes is a magnificent software programme and it looks so minimalistic are all plus points as well.
    So stick with your sony hd3 or 5's where the software is a dog and there are problems with the playlists and the buttons are cracking if you are not buying one due to poseurs owning them, then you are cutting your nose of to spite your face.

30. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seriously now,

i dont have an hdd player, but you guys out there seem pretty knowledgeable. i do listen to mp3 from PC, sometimes i convert MP3 files that i (legally) downloaded from Kazaa onto CD, etc.

they all sound lifeless to me, guess due to compression ATRAC et-al. eons ago, when Philips tried to introduce the doomed "dcc" digital cassette, on a trade-show demo, i managed to a/b/c blind-test recognise/identify b/w the old analog cassette, dcc (it had a compression system probably like mp3) and no-compression CD.

the question is how does compressed music compare to no-loss conversion (basically copying the data of CD quality ie 16bit/44khz sampling), on the new hdds, whether on the dreaded ipod or the "uncool ones"?