1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod fails to update

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DustySox, Oct 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I have recently ugraded itunes to the latest vers. This then told me to use updater to bring my ipod up to date. Unfortuately I now can't update my ipod. When i connect it to the docking unit, it acts like it has for the last two and a half years ie, loads tunes to ipod. However, after updating there are only four songs loaded out of a possible 3400 songs. It;s driving me nuts being podless.

Any thoughts :lease: :lease: :lease:

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried resetting the iPod? This often gets rid of minor glitches just by resetting the iPod microprocessor. No songs are deleted (although a few minor setting may be restored to factory setting)

If this doesn't work, have you tried restoring it? This reformats the hard drive (so deletes all songs), then all songs have to be copied back to the iPod in the first sync after restoring.

Look in the iPod hints and tips thread in the FAQs sticky at the top of the forum for details.

3. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Thankyou for your reply. I have tried your advice with no luck. However, what I have done is in "ipod preferences" set it to "automatically update selected playlists only". And blow me down it's loaded them all be it only 175(3400 in my library) songs. But this proves it can load, for some reason won't load from my library.
    This has got me stumped, andy more thougts would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Darren

4. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

One other thing, if i set to "manually manage songs and playlists" in ipod preferences it also downloads to ipod (drag and drop). So why won't it udate in the "normal way"??

atb

Darren

5. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, well, that's it! The manual update mode means you have to manually put the songs in place on the iPod, and manually delete them if you want. Automatic syncing does all this for you. Full automatic syncing (ie, not just syncing of marked playlists) will load the full Library onto the iPod on syncing. To delete any songs from the iPod then, you have to delete them from your Library first.

It's just a question of playing with iTunes' preferences to get the way of working you prefer. If you have a massive Library and only a small iPod (a mini or nano, say) you will find that the iPod fills up, in which case you should use the auto update of marked playlist setting and just put the songs you want on the iPod into selected playlists. If you have a large enough iPod to hold your whole Library, you can use the full automatic update preference.

Have fun and experiment. As long as you don't actually delete songs from your Library you won't lose them, whatever your preference setting.

6. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi, thankyou for your help.

What would be the best couse of action? I think my itunes folder is all over the place, hence variopus exclamation marks, when trying to play a tune, and it asks would I like to locate it. So would i be best off, deleteing music in folder., and repoint itunes to locate music in itunes preferences? And, what would be the best settings in itunes preferences for itunes to "look after" the music?

I really appreciate your help. :smashin: :smashin:

atb

Darren

7. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without knowing exactly where all your music is stored on your computer I couldn't really say what to do, but it sounds as though you simply need to get iTunes to re-import all the songs. At a guess, I'd say gather all your songs into one folder, then use the Add the Library command off the File menu to locate that folder. First though, I'd suggest changing your iTunes preferences (as below) to allow iTunes to sort the music properly and gather it together in its Music folder.

The settings in the attached screenshot are what I use in iTunes. I'll go through the important ones. It's from a Mac, but I think the Windows iTunes' preferences are pretty similar. I'm not at my PC so I can't say for sure, but I'm sure you'll be able to work out what you need.

First is the iTunes Music folder location. Default is somewhere within your iTunes Music folder in your My Music folder I expect, though you can point iTunes to wherever else you wish to keep your music.

I have checked the Keep iTunes Music folder organized check box. This means that if you change the song name, artist name, or album name, these changes are all reflected instantly in the Music folder. If you are methodical about naming all your songs this really does work well, and keeps all your music in tidy folders, under each artist name, in separate folders within according to each album. I know that some people don't like this and prefer to keep their music in whatever folders they prefer, but allowing iTunes to do it for you just makes the hierarchy of folders so logical it's a no-brainer.

Finally, I have checked the Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to Library check box. This copies all songs you add, and puts them fully ordered in your specified Music folder, under the correct artist name, all in the correct album folders. This really only affects songs you add to iTunes as distinct songs (ie, maybe you downloaded them from a source other than a legal download service like iTMS). What it means is that, say, you have a folder of songs on the computer desktop. You add them to iTunes just by dragging the folder into the Source pane (the left pane in iTunes). A playlist of the songs appears in the Source window, and the songs are copied into the iTunes Library. The original folder of songs still remains on the desktop, so you now have two copies of them - one in the folder on the desktop, one sorted in the iTunes Music folder. So, now you can delete the desktop folder as it's no longer needed - as all the songs iTunes actually links to in its Library are tidily compiled in your Music folder.

Occasionally, you might find some songs are incorrectly named (particularly if they've been downloaded from a dubious source). So, click on the playlist in the Source window, and edit the song/album/artist names - as you edit, all the changes you make are reflected in the song/album/artist names in your Music folder. It's a simply beautiful way of working with all your songs, although I appreciate that some people prefer not to let iTunes take control this way.

Finally, if you import songs from CD, then iTunes looks on the internet to Gracenote (an online CD database) to locate the actual CD, so automatically names the songs for you, preventing the need to type in all the details - you need to be online as you insert the CD for this to function though.

I hope this helps. Shout if you need any more info about iTunes. I know that all the iPod-haters on this forum decry iTunes, but that's because they've not properly tried it out. It has so many features that you don't see on first sight, and works so well with an iPod that it's just a pleasure to use.

Attached Files:

8. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Micks cat,

Appreciate all your advice.

I have copied and paste all music into itunes folder in "my music". And deleted all music in itunes (cleared), in preferences i have set to default setting, ie itunes folder. I can see all my music, in C:\documents and settings\owner\my documents\my music\itunes\itunes music.
    Also, now I want itunes to update with all music what is the best way of doing this? Add file/folder etc?
    If i locate to folder where it shows albums etc, it shows my songs as file with disc symbol, and music note on top with MP3 at the bottom. I thought if I right click this and "play" that itunes would play it, but it does not. Any thoughts?

atb

Darren

9. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Add the music to your iTunes Library (choose Add to Library from iTunes' File menu and locate the music folder) - this may take a minute or so to complete, depending on how many songs you have. Once complete, you should be able to see all the music in the Library, by clicking on the Library (at the top of iTunes' Source window - the left pane in iTunes). Then you play a song by clicking on it in the right pane in iTunes, and using the standard play controls (up at the top left of iTunes).

Following this, you should set playlists of particular songs up in the Source pane. You can do this manually, by choosing New Playlist - from the File menu, then dragging songs from the Library list to the playlist. Alternatively, you can create playlist by selecting a group of songs in the Library and choosing New Smart Playlist - from the File menu.

Playlists aren't essential but they do make it easier to group songs together (into albums, say), and get to those songs or albums quicker (rather than trawling through your whole Library to find them - which can take a while if you have thousands of songs).

10. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Another thing to watch out. Don't let your PC go into power saving or screen saver modes. On auto update they sometimes stop the ipod updating.

11. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

What would be th quickest way to add music to itunes choose add file "or" add folder. I have 3400 songs to add, and not sure of the quicket way.

Any thoughts on why when i click on a track at the moment in the itunes folder in "my music" why itunes does not play that track?

atb

Darren

12. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either choose Add to Library from the File menu and locate the folder. Or, drag the folder to the Source pane of iTunes to create a playlist of all songs. Either way, all songs within the folder will then be added in one operation. Remember that you can later delete a playlist, but the songs in that playlist are still in the iTunes Library.

I guess that iTunes is not set as the default music player on your computer.

13. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Thanks for sticking with me on this, as i'm at the end of my tether!

I am able to rip a disc into itunes, but no way can I add file/folder into itunes.(music that is already loaded on my pc).

If i go to properties of a track

Type of file MPEG Layer 3 Audio

Opens with Itunes

Size of file 3.05 MB (3,208,921 bytes)

Location C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\Al Green

It's driving me nuts. Is the file type incorrect, as if I try to right click on track and play song with itunes, "nothing", if i try to import file "nothing".

This true for a lot of my music. I can't get it into itunes. What am I doing wrong? As it will mean ripping 3400 songs all again :confused:

:lease: :lease: :lease: help

atb

Darren

14. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, MPEG Layer 3 audio file is just the posh name for what's commonly called an mp3 file. So they should work. Do they open with another music player eg, Windows media player? Is it just iTunes that has the problem? It might be worth un-installing then re-installing iTunes (the latest version downloadable from Apple's website would be best) and telling it to locate all music files on your computer in the install process.

I'm assuming you imported them first time around using iTunes. If not, which app did you use? Did you do it logged onto your computer as another user? This could mean they aren't openable by a different user.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but perhaps there's something here that can help you. Maybe someone else in the forum can offer advice too?

15. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    God your good Mick's cat!

We might be onto something here.

I have downloaded latest vers itunes (vers 6), and in the last month I have created user accounts for lodg on to windows) for me and the wife. Could this be causing the problem, and if so any ideas on how to resolve it??

God I do hope we're nearly there on sorting this, as it's taken over my life, and I only get evenings to sort it as ruddy work keeps getting the way :thumbsdow

16. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if it *is* to do with Windows user accounts, I'm afraid it's probably beyond me. I can tell you how to do it if you had a Mac, but Windows is way too complex for me... ( ;-) - forgive my little lapse into a personal tirade...)

On a Mac you simply adjust the Ownership and Permissions to suit in a file's Info box - a Windows' Properties dialog box is the rough copy of this. However, having just played for a little on Windows I see there's no equivalent setting in a Properties box. Now that could be because my Windows laptop is set up as single-user, so I'm not certain. Again, are there any expert Windows users in the house who can advise???

Maybe once you install iTunes 6, it'll pick up the files and do the job for you. Have you tried it yet?

17. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

Either the music is corrupt in my folders, as Itunes won't load it even with itunes vers 6. I can't get media player/Real player to play either, hence files being corrupt. God knows how that may have happened.

So being as it's taking an age to sort this, I am ripping tunes again. Until I can resolve this.
    Maybe it is a "user" problem.

atb

Darren

18. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, sorry we couldn't sort it any other way. It does sound like they're corrupt. Stll, it'll give you something to do over a damp weekend... :(

19. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I won't delete "corrupt" music just yet. There maybe a fix etc. I would like to find out why/what has happened.

But just to say a big thankyou, you are a "Top Cat"!!! :smashin: :smashin: You have been a great help in a very frustrating problem.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Darren

20. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi,

Just a thought. I am re ripping tunes into itunes no probs. I have moved old files oto external hard drive. I notice that new ripped tunes (set itunes to AAC) read as MPEG 4 audio file .m4a extenion file type.
    Old rips read as MPEG layer 3 audio .mp3.

Any thoughts? I ask as they were all ripped previously as AAC file types.

atb

Darren

21. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If songs were ripped as AAC then they should have a .m4a extension, so the fact that they are now .mp3 might be your problem. Try changing one of the affected file's extension to .m4a and see if iTunes will play it.

22. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not entirely sure if this is the same problem you've been experiencing, but saw this posting over on the Apple forums. Thought I'd throw it into the mix ! :D