1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod dock

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scrapbook, Jan 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Just purchased an ipod dock.

Having fitter it to the back of the pc via usb it seems to interfere with the PC boot up..almost as though it is trying to boot up from the ipod rather than the normal hard disk.

Had a look at the bios and the boot up is set to boot from the stndard hard drive only.

Any ideas anyone?

If not would I have the same problem if i connected it to firewire (havent got firewire, but the cards are only £10 or so)

2. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does this happen when the iPod is in the dock? Personally I wouldn't leave the iPod in the docking station when booting or sgutting down, it is very fussy about shut down procedures.
    If the problem appears when there is no iPod in the dock and therefore no hard drive to confuse Windows, then I am at a loss!

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    No you are right, only when it is in the dock.

Just assumed you would be able to leave in the dock when ever you wanted, kinda defeats the object of a dock really, unless u want the soound out.

Will this happen with firewire as well?

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not sure, depends if Windows can see the hard drive on the iPod via Firewire when it boots.
    I tend to undock mine most of the time and only dock to charge it or synch it with iTunes. I also use a car charger when in the car so never let the battery run down too much.

5. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    It'll be something to do with the BIOS settings on the PC. I've had a couple of PCs at work (IBM ThinkCentres) that refuse to boot with a certain type of card reader attached to the USB ports. Remove it and the PC boots file.

Shouldn't be a problem with Firewire, I've only seen 1 PC that could boot from a Firewire drive,

6. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thanks for the info...I switched off all of the bios setting for secondary boot up drives etc.

I will give the firewire option a go.