1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod dock question - I've always wondered this...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danwalton, Aug 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi, just a quick question because I don't (yet) own an iPod. When its in a dock, can it be connected to my hi-fi through line-out, a mains power source and the USB connection on my laptop all simultaneously? I know it can draw power from USB, but my laptop isn't always on, so can all 3 be connected at once, or is it line-out and either mains power OR usb? Hope someone understands what I mean! Cheers...

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's two connectors on the back of the standard Apple dock. A mini-stereo socket for line-out, and a standard iPod dock connector (just like on the bottom of the iPod). So the iPod connector can be connected to the mains power unit *or* a USB/Firewire port of a computer (depending on which connecting cable you have).

So, yes, it's line-out, and either mains-power or computer.

3. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    ah ok thanks for clearing that up!

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Actually, no. You can get a double-header cable which has a firewire AND a USB socket coming out from the dock connector. Which means you can plug the firewire side into the mains adapter, and the USB side into your laptop. It was originally intended for 3G iPods which could only charge from Firewire.

This way, when your laptop is on, the iPod will connect to it and just be linked (i.e. cannot play music from the iPod to the line out). When your laptop is off or the USB cable is disconnected, the iPod will charge from the firewire cable and allow you to output audio to the Line Out.