iPod Custom EQ?

S

Sasso

Hi guys,

I FINALLY got hold of my cousin's first gen iPod mini.

I did the whole mp3gain and set the songs to 89dB.
Then Used euPod to boost the volume to +50.

And WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
Where before I had no bass just a whole lot of distortion I now have lots of CRISP, CLEAN, NOTICABLE BASS!

EXCELLENT :) , with that problem solved, all Apple have to do now is make it gapless and ill be buying one as soon as i possibly can.

I recommend doing the gain and boost treatment to get the EQ on the pod to work and stop that nasty distortion. Instructions can be found here: http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?article.133

HOWEVER, I do have a question: How do I get a custom EQ setting onto the iPod itself?

I know there are all the presets like bass booster, but I want a V shaped EQ to make it sound more round and warm instead of good bass and flat treble.

In iTunes itself I made a custom EQ that look like a V and was able to increase the bass even more, but how do I get that preset to the iPod?

If there is no normal way is there a hack i can use to do it?

Thanks for any help :smashin:

L

lukey

You are supposed to be able to add eq settings to either individual songs or whole albums through itunes by highlighting the song/album then going to 'file', 'get info' and selecting the eq from a pull down list (which includes the custom eq setting. However i have tried this but to no avail, and I dont think its possible as songs still sound like they either have no eq or are using the eq which is preset on the ipod.

S

Sasso

Yeah thats what I find, it works on iTunes but doesnt transfer it to the pod.

Anyone got a solution?

L

lukey

The R and B preset eq is the closest thing to the V shape eq with higher bass and treble but probably not enough for what you looking for. Alternatively go for some bassier earphones like the ultimate ears super.fi 5EB, if its greater bass your after

E

Eraserhead

iPods do not have customizable EQ. I cannot see why they did not add that to this latest nano. I'd love to get an iPod but with no real EQ and no VBR playback, it is no go for me.

Cloysterpeteuk

By the way Sass that euPod program doesn't seem to work well with the nano, it recognises a pod as being there but it won't let you alter the battery metre to a numerical value, it does let you do the volume boost though. Trouble is the next time you sync with itunes the volume goes back to it's usual level.

Has anyone used this program with a nano and autosync?.

M

mick's cat

Eraserhead said:
iPods do not have customizable EQ. I cannot see why they did not add that to this latest nano. I'd love to get an iPod but with no real EQ and no VBR playback, it is no go for me.
iPods do playback MP3 VBR. But you are right, there is no EQ, other than the 20-odd presets.

They're not as bad as some would have us believe. Perhaps you should try listening to an iPod, and not listening to the naysayers before you judge... ;)

S

Sasso

But even with the gain and boost the HD5 sound still kills it, specially since you can adjust the digital sound EQ.

Hmmmmmmm this sucks, what are apple doing? no EQ??? surely somebody by now has made a EQ hack or something.

Not sure about the Nano, Cloysterpeteuk. I did all the stuff on my PC so I to add songs I had to turn sync off, not that I normally would use it. Still it should work, maybe a newer version is going to cover the nano and video.

Hmmm very disappointing...well if anyone else has any suggestions they are welcome.

M

mick's cat

Sasso said:
But even with the gain and boost the HD5 sound still kills it, specially since you can adjust the digital sound EQ.
Well, that's a very personal thing. Others might say the HD5 sound is artificial while the iPod sound is accurate - in the audiophile sense, of course.

Trending threads

Top Bottom