Ipod Classic update 1.1

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Didds, Jan 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Didds

Didds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Has anyone updated their software to 1.1 yet ? It'll be interetsing to see what they have put in this update.;)

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Just installed it on my Classic.

No major changes, to be honest. The quick scroll feature (where the initial letter is shown in the middle of the screen) now operates in all music menus, so if you have an artist with a lot of albums, you get this happening while browsing the artist->album menu. It may have done this before, but I never saw it.

Contrary to what people are reporting on iPodlounge, I haven't noticed any speed up in the menus, but they were pretty slick with 1.0.3 anyway. No difference in sound quality I can hear, and the bugs I know about (foreign characters not showing up in coverflow, album menu showing multiple copies of albums with the same name by different artists) are both still there, in spite of my reporting both to Apple a few months ago.

Looks like the only real difference is support for iTunes Movie Rentals. Certainly no compelling reason to upgrade for people in the UK.

4. Adam Shaw

Adam Shaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Scrolling is faster in mine, and doesnt freeze up, which it used to do pretty frequently.
    No other changes that I can see.

5. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    xbox360 support now for mine. First time it has worked for me

6. serpico77

serpico77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    Can anyone tell me If can go back to update 1.03 as the new update leaves my ipod with a hissing noise once its turned off.

7. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Yes, but you'll need to do a restore, so will need to resync all your content. Plug in your iPod, and when it is recognised by iTunes, hold down the shift key as you click restore, and a file browser will open. Presuming you did the upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 on this machine, the 1.0.3 firmware file should be in the directory - restore with this file, and resync your content when done.

8. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have the same hissing noise. Not really annoying but wonder if it will sap the battery much

9. serpico77

serpico77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    I have converted back to firmware 1.03 and the hissing noise has gone when you turn the ipod off but I can hear it on some songs, anyone else had this experience?

10. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Hi, I would like to go back to a previous version on my 1st gen Shuffle. Is it the same method ? Where is 'restore' ? Thanks.

11. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    I have also had some hissing and some 'popping' sounds with 1.1 (like when i slide the lock open and closed) which are loud through my car system. Poor show apple, i dont mind the odd bug - but they shoul have released a fix by now.

12. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Just noticed the hissing noise when off for the first time on my 160GB classic - I can see why people object, as it's pretty loud! The only bug fix that I noticed with 1.1 was that the Radio Remote now works properly with local FM stations on the European setting, and I don't use the radio often enough for that to be a problem, so I think I'l restore down to 1.0.3 again until the hissing is fixed - it must drain the battery.

13. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    OK, my information on how to downgrade the firmware was wrong! That was to downgrade an iPhone - the iPod requires a different method. (Since I found I had the notorious 1.1 hiss, I decided to roll back to 1.0.3, and have just done so.)

Go into C:\Documents and Settings\<your account>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates. Delete (or move to elsewhere) the files starting iPod_24.1.1. Make sure you have two files starting ipod_24.1.0.3 - these are the old firmware, which you should still have if you upgraded to 1.0.3 on this machine.

Launch iTunes, go into preferences, and turn off automatic checking for updates. Connect the iPod, and hit Restore. iTunes will ask if you want to check online for updates - hit "Don't Check". iTunes will then ask if you want to restore with old firmware - hit the 'Restore' button, and bob's your uncle - you should be back to 1.0.3.

And now to spend this evening resyncing 120Gb back on to it... ;-(

14. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    HI I bought a 1st gen shuffle from someone who had updated to the latest fw.

I already have a previous 1st gen shuffle which I prefer the sound of (I have never changed the fw on this).

Is it possible to downgrade the fw on my 2nd hand shuffle , bearing in mind that it was not updated on my PC ?

Thanks.

15. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I updated my 160Gb Classic last night and the 1-3 second pause before it scrolls / plays / does anything else is still there. I have to say I have gone from loving my last 20Gb iPod to really hating this thing.....