iPod Classic lineout

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MrCynical, Jun 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MrCynical

MrCynical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I tried connecting my iPod classic to the car's aux input the other day and there were volume... issues. Put it this way, to hear some of the louder music I had to jack the volume on the iPod up to full and also turn up the volume on the car stereo to the extent that there was noticeable background hiss. Even with this done, music was only on the quiet side of audible and quieter recordings (e.g. Suteki da ne from 20020220) were near-silent.

From some googling (I know nothing about these things) I've estalished that this is because the iPod doesn't do line out through the headphone jack, but instead just sends a standard headphone signal. This would also explain why my previous music player (Sony NWHD5) worked fine in the same car without the volume issues - it had a menu option to switch between headphone and lineout modes on the output.

From more googling I've discovered that the Pocketdock accessory offers line out via the dock connector. Does anyone have one of these, and if so does it output at the same sort of volume as the lineout on players such as the HD5 which support it out of the box?

2. tomd84

tomd84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    From my experance the ipod does not need any lineout settings or stuff, plays fine on my car sonys head unit though the head phone socket. did you turn the ipod voluem up to the max?

3. MrCynical

MrCynical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, the iPod's volume was at max and the volume on the car's stereo system was getting pretty close. I don't think it can be an issue with the volume on the car's aux input because I've had other devices (with actual lineout rather than just headphone output) which have no volume problems.

4. akki007

akki007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    You need a line out dock. The quality of signal from the line out is far superior to the headphone out also so you are looking at better sound quality.

5. MrCynical

MrCynical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers, I've got a PocketDock on its way :clap: