• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ipod Classic Dock with a HDMI output?

vex

Prominent Member
Does your TV have a single, yellow video input called Composite?

That will be good enough because the video compression done to get it onto the iPod in the first place that the images will be worse that composite anyway.

V.

RM UK

Established Member
yeh it does.
will that connection be good enough to watch films that are on my ipod?
or will the quality be too bad?

Thanks.

vex

Prominent Member
That really depend on two things.

1) What screen size you are using it with.
2) What image quality you are prepared to put up with.

They are quite cheap though so I really don't think you would lose anything by trying it out.

Also be careful on the one you buy because Apple changed thier video chip which means that you the latest generation of iPods don't work with some docks.

HTH

V.

RM UK

Established Member
i'll be using a 22" HD TV.
As far as image quality goes, as long as its watchable and won't damage my eyes its fine.

would i be better trying to free up the component on my TV and using that?

Thanks.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
ITs video stored on an ipod designed for a 3"screen it wont look great on a 22" screen regardless of what connection you use it will be highly compressed and low quality the definition of the image will be the same using any connector S-video may be a bit better but its going to be on the poor side of quality regardless of the connection the cable used to connect the source cant make the source look any better just potentially less worse.

RM UK

Established Member
ITs video stored on an ipod designed for a 3"screen it wont look great on a 22" screen regardless of what connection you use it will be highly compressed and low quality the definition of the image will be the same using any connector S-video may be a bit better but its going to be on the poor side of quality regardless of the connection the cable used to connect the source cant make the source look any better just potentially less worse.

oh i see so component would look the same as s-video?

and what about the docks that upscale? anyone know where i can get one in the uk?

thanks.

daveb975

Distinguished Member
Also be careful on the one you buy because Apple changed thier video chip which means that you the latest generation of iPods don't work with some docks.

HTH

V.

Do you know if any of the Denon docks will support video on the iPod Classic range?

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I am sure Denon and Onkyo docks support video on 3rd gen onwards its only ythe Ipod touch and Ipohone that use the new chip IIRC (not sure about Fat nanos)

vex

Prominent Member
The next gen iPod dock from Onkyo, expected to be called the DS-A3x will be able to show video from the current iPod range. Due out later this year.

V.

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I cancelled an order I had placed for the Denon ASD-1R and went with the newer 3N.

The Denon website specifically says that 6G ipods will not output video via the 1R. It did not state anything for the 3N, but I am more interested in outputting album art than video anyway, so hopefully it will do this.

spl23

Prominent Member
oh i see so component would look the same as s-video?

I'd actually say that S-video will always look better than composite, even with an iPod as the source. Composite gives nasty dot-crawl effects on large areas of colour on pretty much every display and playback device I've ever seen - S-video fixes this. It's worth using S-video from an iPod just to get rid of this. Component and HDMI, on the other hand, won't offer much (if any) improvement over S-video with low-res compressed iPod content.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom