ipod cassette adapter question - How much sound quality loss?

adamknox

Standard Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong area guys :(

Just got a 1997 car with a built in cassette player. I decided to buy one of those cassette ipod adapters. It sounds ..okay but the quality is a bit ..bleh. Reminds me of listening to an old FM radio or a WMV/WAV file. Its far from bad but could be allot clearer and crisp. Its fine for now but im interested in upgrading. With it being before christmas, money is a bit tighter than normal :( (damn large familes. who needs them lol) Im deciding whether to upgrade the speakers or the cassette stereo first. Does anyone know which i would see more improvement in? Am i losing quality because of the cassette adapter or because of the speakers (which came with the car in 1997)

Im not interested in anything to 'boy racer' lol just something that sounds crisp-ish and clear for my daily drive to work

I asked a similer question a few weeks back however its not showing up on my profile :( not sure if it was shut or what?

BigCam

Hi :hiya:
Am i losing quality because of the cassette adapter or because of the speakers (which came with the car in 1997)

The main issue that affects sound quality with that adapter is Head Alignment and also dirt contamination on the cassette heads.
I used to use one before CD car stereos were the norm.
I had a portable CD player hooked up to the cassette adapter and found that just by pressing the end of it when inserted improved sound quality.
So I always used a bit of folded cardboard to keep it in place :D

As for upgrading it has to be to replace the cassette stereo first
and now is the time to do it.
Most main car stereo outlets are selling their Head units at 50% off:rolleyes:
If you can afford it ,go for one with a dedicated Ipod line in
That way Album /track names are shown on the Units display and also gives the best sound output

The other and most common now is the front jack line input
This would connect to the ipod h/phone output and still give reasonable sound quality.
Always lower the Ipod volume control before using that type then adjust to suit

The only issue is most of these units are high output 40/50 watts
Am guessing yours maybe around 20/30 so you would have to be mindful of the volume control until you upgrade your speakers.
BigCam

Last edited:

adamknox

Standard Member

The only issue is most of these units are high output 40/50 watts
Am guessing yours maybe around 15/20 so you would have to be mindful of the volume control until you upgrade your speakers.
BigCam

I was actully going to ask about this. Will i have to becareful what cd/stereo i get? Or will any one go with any car? (ofc ill need an adapter for the back of the player) Ive noticed have some high watts and some with Low watts. Is higher watts better as ill be able to get higher watt speakers?
Like for e.g if i got a player which was 40Watts. each of my four car speakers could be a max of 10 watts? (im a noob lol sorry if that sounds stupid)

Also when you say "This would connect to the ipod h/phone output and still give reasonable sound quality." does that mean it wont be that good sounding because its using a connector?

Last edited:

BigCam

Will i have to becareful what cd/stereo i get? Or will any one go with any car? (ofc ill need an adapter for the back of the player)
Most head units are the same size but you will need a wired loom adaptor to suit your make of car.
Those are bought seperately so would need to ask what you need at the store.
Best to quote make/age of car first and see what units are easier to fit.

Also when you say "This would connect to the ipod h/phone output and still give reasonable sound quality." does that mean it wont be that good sounding because its using a connector?

Line out(preamp) gives the better sound output
H/phone out lowers the quality but with todays units still sound Ok
As its for a car stereo its not much of an issue
With the Ipod dedicated units you get the advantage of line out plus track display and control of switching tracks ect as some come with a steering wheel mount remote control
Most of the outputs quoted are per channel (4 X 30)
With sales lower this year you could see if you can get a good deal with speakers included
Worth a shot
BigCam

Last edited:

adamknox

Standard Member
Will i have to becareful what cd/stereo i get? Or will any one go with any car? (ofc ill need an adapter for the back of the player)
Most head units are the same size but you will need a wired loom adaptor to suit your make of car.
Those are bought seperately so would need to ask what you need at the store.
Best to quote make/age of car first and see what units are easier to fit.

Line out(preamp) gives the better sound output
H/phone out lowers the quality but with todays units still sound Ok
As its for a car stereo its not much of an issue
With the Ipod dedicated units you get the advantage of line out plus track display and control of switching tracks ect as some come with a steering wheel mount remote control
Most of the outputs quoted are per channel (4 X 30)
With sales lower this year you could see if you can get a good deal with speakers included
Worth a shot
BigCam

OOoh okay i get you. So connecting to the player via the USB port rather than the headphones/AUX input gives a richer sound?

Thanks i think ill try getting a package :) Most of the ones ive seen in halfords all have very bad reviews on sites like amazon. :( Which is a bit of a pain. This one has pretty good reviews and connects via USB. Also has 4x52w and i doubt id be getting 4 speakers with 52w each so it seems more than enough. Its just finding the cradle/cable adapter to fit my car now. I'm tempted to go into Halfords and ask but i know ill end up getting the old *breaths through teeeth* Nahhhhhh you want this, this and this(all costing an extra £300)"

thats what i love about this site, you dont get any of that on here. Just people wanting to help others. Thanks for the advice BIGCAM. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Philips OLED807 Review, The High Price of Hi-Fi, Video Processors plus AV / HiFi News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom