1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ipod buying help please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jmack, Nov 17, 2003.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys

i`m asking santa for a apple ipod for xmas so i have some questions

best place to buy?
    i have heard that the volume on some is very quiet? is this true
    will be looking for 20gb that would do me fine?
    and how can you tell what generation it is?

and any other info yo can give?

cheers guys

2. smescrater

smescrater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jmack,

As someone who's just picked an ipod up, I thought I'd reply and fill you in on some of the details.

Where to pick up-up to you, I ended up shopping about online via 2020shops.co.uk until I found one of the 30Gb ones in stock. i got a reasonable deal online and got my ipod quickly.

The volume depends mainly on the way you encode your MP3s. I normally find I have the volume on the ipod turned up to 3/4 maximum and that's a comfortable listening volume for me. However, if you use the Xplay software (third party) rather than itunes or musicmatch jukebox, Xplay can up the volume of the MP3 and make it louder. I've not tried this though, so can't comment on how loud it is, or if any distortion of the sound occurs.

You can tell the generation quite easily, the 1st generation ones were larger, and had a round moving dial and 4 buttons arranged round the circumference of that dial. The later generation ones are smaller, the dial is now touch sensitive and the four buttons are four touch sensitive circles underneath the screen.

iPods are excellent and look the business, 20Gb should see you fine, I have 300+ CDs on a 30Gb on and have 6Gb to spare, so hopefully that'll give you an idea of size. However, I would look at the new creative zen, they come in 20Gb also, and support more than just the MP3 format that the iPOD does, WMA files are supposedly higher quality for reduced file size, however, YMMV.

Hope this helps,

Smes.

3. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    If you use Itunes you can encode files using lossless AIFF or WAV file compression!

Ipods are excellent - highly recommended!

Cheers,

Steve

4. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jmack,

I bought my 20Gb IPOD a couple of weeks ago from Micro Anvika in TC Road, they actually had some stock which was incredible...

Sometimes John Lewis on line have some, and there are vouchers floating around which will give you money off.

As for size the 20Gb appears to be a good intermediate for a not too bad outlay (the 10Gb doesn't come with docking station or remote), I've currently got around 124 odd CD's on it and only used 8Gb, and they are encoded at 192K AAC, which sounds great.

Volume has also never caused me a problem however I ditched the headphones and got a pair of Sennheiser MX300's which sound sooo much better.

I also looked at the Creative Zen NX but they are bigger and heaver, and I wanted something light.

Hope this helps.

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys

could not wait for santa, went to pc world and bought a 20g with docking station,

now getting used to it all, software loaded and using it through firewire/docking to charge and download music from my pc,

i`m using the music match software . and dragging the music files from my music folder/from winmx and from cd using the recoder button then dragging.

does this sound correct.

ive made one or two mistakes ive loaded a album from my pc to ipod with out names of tracks or album is there a way to edit names of tracks allready on ipod?

and since its been in its dock there is a do not disconnect sign flashin on ipod screen.

cheers agian guys.

6. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Welcome to the ipod club!! The first thing I would do is dump the musicmatch software and download itunes from www.apple.com

It is really easy to use. Also there are some new connectivity options that are coming out so that you can connect your ipod up to your car hifi, also the line out on the docking station lets you hook up your ipod to your processor/receiver/amp!!

To get cd names you have to get them from the internet. In itunes you just go to the "advanced" menu option and select "get cd track names". I am sure there is a similar option in musicmatch. The way the ipod updates from itunes is it will replace the whole album list. Don't know about musicmatch.

Enjoy!!

Steve

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i use itunes for windows?

any tips would be great if you got any spare time:D :D :D

8. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Came out a few weeks ago. I have both a mac and pc and the itunes functionality is almost the same.

Cheers,

Steve

9. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Itunes for Windows is really good, its what I used, I got my IPOD the day they released the new Firmware and ITunes, what timing.

Itunes is easier than Music match, you will probably need to download the new firmware as well as your IPOD may or may not have this, the update allows you to rip in AAC which is supposedly one of the better Lossey compressions, created by Dolby so it can't be too bad.

To use ITunes you just drag and drop the CD into the Library and then it will put it in the Library, then dependant on how you have chosen to sync the IPOD it will automatically Sync or you have manually do it, not too hard either way.

As for the do not disconnect, there are several threads around on this and pretty much Don't disconnect until you have "Safely Removed the Hardware". Two ways to do this, with Itunes you can right click on the IPOD on the left hand window and chose Eject IPOD or there is an add/remove device option that normally sits in the System Tray, right click and choose your IPOD and choose disconnect. The IPOD will then change the message and it is safe to remove.

Hope this helps...

10. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just downloaded itunes and deleted music match

how to i send my music to ipod with itunes?

quick helps please;) ;) ;)

11. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the last generation 20gig and once you have recorded your cd to itunes (make sure it is selected as your default player) or downloaded your songs from the internet to itunes you just connect the ipod to your computer with the firewire lead and it does it all automatically. I think you can also do it with a usb2 lead on itunes for windows but I'm not an expert on windows pcs.

12. kbillyard

kbillyard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If you haven't sorted it yet, there are two ways..

Put in the CD, open ITunes , or otherway round...

When in Itunes, you can right click on the CD and click Encode as AAC or drag and drop the CD in to the Library and it will do it for you.

When you have finished, again as I mentioned above, your IPOD will automatically sync, or right click on the IPOD and choose the Sync option.

That should get you started...

Have Fun..

13. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    can you tell me what is the latest software?

i have 2.1.0 on mine

i have downloaded itunes which i find much easier and better than music match.

i have gone into the utilities for the updater and mine has the updater box greyed out (cant select it)
    but the restore button is available for selecting.
    maybe its because i have the latest software?

cheers guys

14. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ^

another question i decide to convert all to AAC or ACC cant remember what one its called bt now i have 2 of everything on my ipod?

shall i just format it and start again?

cheers

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    I've just been on a site where you can listen to someone phoning Apple support as his battery has gone down in his IPOD and the advice given is "you can send it back to have it repaired, but it would be just as cheap to buy a new IPOD"
    Does anyone know if this is true ?

16. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, the battery is sealed so unless it's under warranty it costs over £200 to replace.

That site is scaremongering to the extreme, but still.... would have me worried, especially when alternatives use more conventional batteries. I used to own a iPod (latest gen) and it was fantastic, although it did develop a fault and had to be returned almost immediately!

MuFu.

17. Frankie_D

Frankie_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That site is only using the scaremongering to gain pubilicity and therefore money. The battery lasts at least 2 years and is more likely to last 5. For apple to put a new baatery in it costs less than£100 and if you want to do it yourself itll cost about £50 (by then your warranty would have run out anyway).

Frankie

18. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They've reduced their prices recently. In the US it's now $99 compared to $250 before.

MuFu.

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    That's reassuring to know, I think my Ipod purchase is back on again now !

20. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Certainly wouldn't stop me buying one. They're frickin' brilliant!

MuFu.

21. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,608
    Duh - Ipod discussions should be in the hifi and music delivery systems forum. Moving from general chat.