1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod Battery

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GizmoStu, Dec 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. GizmoStu

GizmoStu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

After noticing a significant drop in performance, I took the plunge and upgraded my iPod 3G's battery from the one that was shipped to one manufactured by NewerTech. The thing is I want to ensure that this battery performs better than the previous one. As such, can anyone tell me the best way to charge a Lithium Polymer battery? Is it better to charge it as frequently as possible, or to let it run down between charges? Any help greatly appreciated.

Stuart.

2. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart
    Sorry, I don't know the answer, but keep us infomred about how the new battery perfoms, esp life of battery on one recharge?

3. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a G4 Ipod and get nowhere near the 12 hours quoted, probably nearer 6 - 7.

I have been advised that these new batteries do not need to be run down completely prior to re-charging although this used to be the case in the past. Not sure how accurate the information was but I must admit I have tried both charging on empty and half full, seemed to be no difference in play back time.

4. GizmoStu

GizmoStu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My main concern is not so much the play time between recharges, more the overall longevity of the battery. I understand that there is an optimum charging pattern for Lithium Polymer batteries. The general opinion for most batteries of this type is that it is better to not completely discharge them if possible. However, experience teaches me that constantly topping these things up isn't necessarily the best way to treat them either.

I am more than happy to keep people updated as to the performance of my new iPod battery, by the way. For reference, the company I dealt with for getting my upgrade sorted was www.ipodworld.co.uk. I found their service to be swift and very helpful so I would certainly recommend them to people considering doing a similar thing. They were even good enough to install the battery for me after I'd discovered I couldn't get my iPod open to do it myself!

5. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizmostu
    Thanks. So was the replacement battery the one for £34 and do you ave any idea on the duration of the battery between charges?

6. GizmoStu

GizmoStu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's the one. The good news is that the maximum period between recharges is pretty good so far. When I got my iPod back I was advised by the company I bought the battery from that I should fully charge and discharge it before I could resume "normal" use. I found that, with an average of an hour's use per day, my iPod lasted for five days. A significant improvement on what it could do even when I first bought it last year. I have to confess I've not really used it that much this week, but other than deliberately discharging it I've not been caught out by it yet.

I've got a long train journey next week so I'll see how it copes then ;)

7. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On the subject of batteries...

I've got a 4th gen 20 gig, and had a scare tonight.
    Listening to it on the way home from work it just stopped. I thought it was due a charge so I put it on when I got home expecting to see the apple sign and nothing appeared! Pushing buttons didn't help.
    Tried USB and firewire and nothing came up. Just about to make an angry call to get it swapped back when I remembered noting a reset sequence. Tried it (pushing select and menu together, holding for 6 secs or more) and nothing.
    Tried it when plugged in to charge and it booted up and is now happy.

Is this supposed to happen? On previous times when the battery runs out it has still been able to start up again. Has anyone else had this?

8. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It happened to me a couple of times (I have a 4G 40 Gig machine), I read that if you turn the hold switch off and on for a couple of times then re-set all will work, it did the job form me. Hasn't happened recently but that may be because of the recent firmware update.

9. GizmoStu

GizmoStu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've had all kinds of weird behaviour with the iPod I bought this time last year. I think the firmware isn't quite as tried and tested as it should be. When it goes wrong I've found that connecting it to a computer normally sorts it out.