1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod battery life

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by tom1, Feb 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have a 20g ipod and i know that the battery life on ipods has been criticised. Apple say the expected range is 4-8 hours. However, i don't use the backlight, don't use the clicker and generally just let it play, but i think i get about 3-4 hours tops out of it.

Before i go through the hassle of sending it back, having to wait 10 days and then reload all my tracks - is this battery life i currently get usual, or will my replacement be just the same? i'm wondering whether all the batteries are like this or if mine is particularly crap.

many thanks

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Do you have any Eq settings on as I think that takes more battery ?
    I've noticed that when my battery level is showing nearly empty, there is still a few hours of play left in it. Initially I was recharging at this level and was under the impression that I was only getting about 3-4 hours of play, but i left it running one to to try it and got about 7 hours.

3. tom1

tom1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no - i don't use any settings, but maybe its the indicator. i do exactly the same and recharge once its down to a fraction. maybe i should try leaving it..

thanks

4. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The battery meter is acknowledged to be very inaccurate. Play it until it runs out and see how many hours you get.
    There are a couple of other factors which might effect usage:
    Shuffle play, this might use more power as the iPod is constantly accessing the hard drive to find the next track, rather than playing the tracks in the sequence that they are on the drive
    Size of track, tracks are taken into the onboard memory and played from there. If the track is large (depending upon the bit rate etc) then it might not be taken into the memory in one go making the iPod access the hard drive more often.
    iPod batteries, like all rechargable ones, require conditioning to get the most from them, charge and then fully discharge a couple of times to get the up to full capacity.

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Shuffle doesn't impact battery life - the shuffled playlist is calculated ahead of time, so the iPod is able to pre-load just as it would with an unshuffled playlist.
    Agree on the bitrates though - WAV files, for example, will kill your battery life.

6. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Whatever the reasons for it, 3-4 hours is utterly unacceptable.

My journey to work in a morning takes an hour and a half, and my journey home (including stopping of at the Supermarket) can be up to 2 hours.

That means this i-pod might not last me a day, just because I want to see what I'm doing with the backlight, or like a bit more bass on the eq.

Abysmal for any product which considers itself a market leader.

Steve W

7. Dubya

Dubya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apple's advice on maximising battery life is to keep using it - going through at least one charge cycle each month. This keeps the battery in tip-top condition, and makes sure the battery indicator displays battery content most accurately. In most instances of reported three or four hour battery life, another three or four hours will be obtained out of a battery just by continuing to play it. I've been in the trap of reading comments on this forum myself, but fortunately had the experience of reviewing an iPod before making my own mind up. Battery life is what Apple says it should be. No more, no less.

In short, don't listen to rumour-mongering created by people who've never actually used an iPod, and don't rumour-monger yourself.

Oh, it's the market leader for many, many other reasons than just battery life.

8. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    No battery life is by no means what Apple say it is, don't talk rubbish. The only way anyone could get anywhere near the supposed 12 hours mark is by leaving is by turning of all the features and leaving it alone, who the hell uses it that way?. I like to just play mine on shuffle, adjusting things like volume, skip song and rate song very infrequently yet the battery still only goes for like 6 hours tops!. Two other people I work with also have ipods with siomilar battery life, so tell me how is this rumour mongering when I know it to be hard fact!.

I can't even use half the features I would like to such as the games, EQ and backlight as it would just run out. Fortunately Apple will replace the battery it if falls below 50% of original capacity before the end of the second year of wonership, so mine is getting replaced.

I can't wait for the 5G Pod, if they can make color models with 15hr life then there is no reasonwhy a non color one should be less than 20hr's.

9. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get yourself a 20gb Sony HD3, lasts forever, will last you a week+ never mind a day!

I rejected my Ipod for the same reason, and if it did last all day then it would discharge overnight!

Why people put up with this i do not know, sure they look good but..............

10. Dubya

Dubya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear what you're saying and have a lot of sympathy, but what are you complaining about? Get Apple to change it. My 3G battery lasts longer than your 4G by the sound of it, so why wait?

Mind you, we shouldn't think that iPod users are the only ones with this problem. I've had the opportunity to look at most of the competition recently, and they all have a much lower battery life when you do anything other than just play tracks continuously. And some (if you look at some of the recent posts about the HD3 for example) seem to have other problems too. The iPod's no worse that any other I reckon. The problem is that the rumour-mongers make the most of an old spec like 1G, 2G or 3G and tout that as gospel. They seem to forget that when 1G, 2G and largely 3G iPods were around and being used in their millions, theirs wasn't even a twinkle in Bill Gates' eyes... ;)

11. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Dubya,

You are right in saying that few mp3 players have batteries which last as long as is claimed.

However, you are totally wrong to imply that they are all equal, and that i-pod don't have a specific, and greater problem.

The i-pod battery problem has been noted on consumer programmes such as 'Watchdog', and admitted to by Apple.

The Apple website has its own page on how to try to improve battery life, and ensure it doesn't give out too quickly.

Apple have repeatedly failed to answer media questions as to whether they have now sorted out the problem.

Apple have undeniably created a machine where the battery is not supposed to be consumer replaceable. There is absolutely no good reason for this. Consumers have been carrying round units with replaceable battery compartments since the first tranny radios went on sale, all without any great cost, or problem. If Apple have designed the machine that way, then they must accept criticism that its a cr*p system - after all, they're happy to accept the accolades of the i-pod's design, so they should be big enough to take the rough with the smooth.

RE:

"Oh, it's the market leader for many, many other reasons than just battery life."

Yes. It's market leader due to a massive, and expensive publicity campaign, and an immediately recognisable design. Neither of which make it worth your battery running out, IMVHO (and I'm a U2 fan).

Steve W

12. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Thankfully the 5G should sort this, im figuring if they can make a color screen ipod photo last for 3 hours longer than the standard models then there is no reason why the 'official' battery time of the 5G shouldn't be 20hr. That's assuming the 5G is still monochrome.

13. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    3-4 hours if that is for real (until a full discharge) is a faulty unit. No point in providing opportunitunities for the uninformed non-iPod owners (who may claim otherwise) to vent here. Get it swapped.

I had problems with a Zen lasting less than an iPod. I got it swapped twice, and in the end decided to get something else because there was an announcement for a new player. I still liked the Zen, and I gave it a fair chance, unlike some here with the iPod.

14. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Dodgy,

On 'usage' front, I agree. These units maybe need to be lived with.

But you must remember that you don't actually need to have bought or used an i-pod to know how much it costs. Being disgustingly overpriced is the main criticism of this unit, I believe.

Meanwhile, its main selling point is its styling - something which once again can be judged before purchase.

Finally, the inability to change the battery isn't something you need to own an i-pod to realise its just a cr*p idea. Indeed, if you own an i-pod, I'm sure this defect can only become worse in your psyche over time, rather than better; your anger increasing, and bile rising every time you can't slip in a replacement.

Fair play to Apple, they have produced a nice looking machine. But considering the amount of time in use it spends in your pocket...

Steve W

15. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Disgustingly overpriced? A 20Gb unit is £210-ish. It's in the ballpark with other players of the same capacity. If all you want is capacity allied to solid build, many others are actually more expensive. Other players may offer more features at the expensive of size, or other players may offer a smaller form factor with the tradeoff of smaller displays, etc. Only the Creative players are significantly lower priced, and there's a good reason for this... they are a 'value' product, and while they're pretty well built there's a certain cheapness about the styling, UI, software, etc.

It's main first impression selling point may be the styling, but there's more to it once you start using it. And you won't know this unless you've spent a significant amount of time with one.

Don't slag off other players just because you couldn't afford it.

16. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    RE:

"And you won't know this unless you've spent a significant amount of time with one."

If the difference is so small that to perceive it you need to spend "...a significant amount of time with one." then it really can't be that great a difference, can it.

Steve W

17. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The software/hardware combination isn't something you can check out in a store unless a full set-up is available and you can have a sit down with it to give it a good going over. Plus, it takes time to get use to the capabilities of software. Mediasource is a case in point. Fairly usable, but not particularly friendly and you have to learn it's idiosyncracies first.

In any case, best to stop bashing players you've never/barely used and to back up uninformed and presumptive prejudices with long diatribes.

18. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Haven't we got off topic a bit here?

Back to battery life.

Steve W

19. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I treated myself to an ipod photo a couple of months ago, after the first 4 full charges I have always got over 15 hours out of a charge, the battery indicator isn't the best though I just run it until the player stops. I use the backlight and the tracks are recorded at 224 kbs AAC with there album art work which makes the files a little larger than normal. I am happy with the battery life, lets just hope the battery lasts after a lot of charges !!!

20. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Thanks for that post hossac, I was just over @ ipodlounge in the ipod photo forum where people where saying that the 15hr life of the photo model is reduced to three or four as soon as you put album art on the now playing. Was rather ****** off as that doesn't bode well for the life of the 5G and I was really looking forward to displaying album art.

Also how do you find viewing the color screen?, in terms of visibilty I would assume you would have to have the backlight on a lot more frequently hence draining the battery rather quick.

21. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dubya certainly is correct.

No, he is not wrong at all. He is totally correct. The iPod battery is no different to any other music player's Li-Ion battery.

As do probably all other decent music player manufacturers. Even your beloved Creative has a page if you care to do some research for a change...

Oh, is that right? Which tabloid do you read then? The only 'problem' that ever actually occurred was that of a 'normal' Li-Ion battery undergoing 'normal' end-of-life failure. (The batteries are made by Sony, incidentally, so draw your own conclusions, although I'm sure you will continue to draw the wrong ones given your posting history...) You mustn't forget that the iPod has a head-start of three years over other music players. In time, other music players will encounter the same effect, as they use the same types of battery. Apple has addressed it, with its replace-if-you-get-under-50%-of-stated-life policy. It is only malinformed or capricious individuals who continue to make new false accusations based on old malinformed or capricious evidence.

In your opinion. Millions of users obviously prefer the reduced size available because of it.
    Again, this is only your opinion. What is your problem? Why are you so often abusive in your posts? Why do you so obviously prefer to crusade over others' thoughts in an attempt to impose your own? If you ask me, and despite your protestations to the contrary, RE teaching obviously hasn't changed at all. Pity the kids who can't answer back... ;)

22. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come on! throw your ipods in the Thames and get a vaio pocket! 20 hours battery life, more colours than ipod photo, completely mp3 compatible and still quite exclusive. ipods have become dreadfully common these days...

23. Dubya

Dubya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, I go away for a couple of days, and I miss out on all the fun... :rotfl:

Thanks, mick's cat for your support, but don't worry, I've been sworn at by bigger bullies than Pecker. Seems like he's just miffed because everyone's happy to take no notice of him here.

You are certainly right about malinformed and capricious individuals hyping up a supposed ongoing battery 'problem'. Still, I guess there are sufficient happy iPod users here to counteract that though...

24. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, :thumbsup: but there are also some who've bought something else and feel they need to run the iPod down rather than keeping things factual, in what seems like an effort to justify themselves. Watch your back! :rolleyes:

25. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    Well I've never regreted buying my iPod. For me it offers the best in the way of hardware/software. Itunes is the media player of my choice so I went for the iPod to go with it :thumbsup:

26. hossacd

hossacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The album art is added to the aac file so if you keep the resolution down on art it should only add 10-20k to the file(which looks fine on the IPODs screen). You can however put full res art on which could easily put 1meg onto a AAC file, so if you are playing an album this could mean its loading another 10-15meg into memory as the art is added to each track, which I suspect would affect the battery life.

The screen is excellent with the back light on, on par with any digital camera screen I have seen. With the backlight off you can read the track name/menus and so on but you can't really make out the different colours, I use the backlight due to this.

27. MartyE

MartyE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl:

Quite a few times I switch my Ipod on adn it tells me the battery life is very low. I let it play anyway and after time the battery meter seems to climb to reveal it has about two quarters more power in it that it originally claimed.

I would say though, even with clicker, backlight and EQs on I tend to get more than three to four hours out of it. It would easily last a journey from Sunderland to Gatwick, which it did a few weeks ago. That was about six hours on the motorways.

:hiya:

28. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    RE:

"I've been sworn at by bigger bullies than Pecker."

Oh dear.

I've sworn at no-one.

I think it appears to be you two patting each other on the back & complaining about me, so who's the bully?

I try to stick to the facts, and have never used anyone's job as a way of criticising them.

RE:

"Millions of users obviously prefer the reduced size available because of it (the i=pods non-replaceable battery)."

Sorry, I don't understand how not having a replaceable battery reduces the size ofthe unit.

Stick the battery at the back (extra size is two wires, less than 1mm thick). Then just have a slide open cover, like almost every portable in the history of portables. My MD is significantly smaller than an i-pod, is only marginally bigger than the mini disc itself, and has a replaceable battery. So how on earth anyone seriously thinks having a non-replaceable saves space is beyond me.

Hey, I'm not trying to impose my views on anyone. I'm just offering things up for discussion. If you want to say HOW having a non-replaceable saves space, that's interesting discussion.

Alternately you might just want to keep referring to the fact that I'm an RE teacher. Not sure that'll get us anywhere.

I would argue that a non-replaceable battery is not as good as a replaceable battery. I don't think that's an opinion, I think it's a fact. Unless you're allergic to handling batteries, or something.

Steve W

29. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The MD has a smaller display, less electronics and a smaller 'drive bay'. Stands to reason it's smaller. However, what do the smallest MD units have to save space? Yes, you guessed it... a non-user-replaceable battery.(or at least, user-replaceable-with-massive-hassle battery, along the lines of the iPod)

Sure, you can make a player as small / smaller than the iPod but by what's possible right now, you aren't going to have a user-replaceable battery in the vein of... well, the Creatives.

The question is: How many spare batteries do you have for your Creative, pecker? And if you just bought the Creative for the purposes of replacing the battery when it dies, how do you know your battery will exist when that happens? I mention that since although my Jukebox3 still has healthy batteries, I wanted to buy some extras. I can't find them anymore, and that's for a 2-year-old Creative player. On the other hand, Apple being an established PC maker carries spares for several years. For most, much like a mobile these days I put it to you that the replaceable battery for an HDD player is a theoretical advantage which is not actually used.

Edit: You're a teacher? In that case I'm surprised you don't think more before you post your diatribes :p
    Edit2: Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised... since your posts seem to be all theory, no experience :devil:

30. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I love my ipod but anyone can see that the battery is by far the weakest part of the package, there is no way that if Apple put a user replaceable battery is that anyone would ever be thinking that the current solution is a feasible one.

When I first started looking at MP3 players I just assumed they would have at least the same kind of battery playback as offered by the only mediums, so I thought well maybe they won't offer 100hrs like my CD player as they have a screen but with advancements in battery tech since the 90's I thought they would at least match the 55hrs of my walkman!. How wrong was I :(, I was gutted when I saw a paltry 12 hours quoted, I thought somethings gone wrong here talk about going backwards in terms of use ability.

Have you been to http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

It's a clever tactic from Apple to make it hard to replace the battery, I know when mine runs out I will just upgrade the player to another pod, rather than pay £86 ($160) plus postage.