1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod battery life

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by G a f f e r, Jan 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    hi
    Some of you with more patience than me may be able to measure the decline of your battery power with use very accurately.
    I've already done a rough test.
    Firstly, you need to change your standard iPod battery status indicator from the graphical one to a numerical 3 digit voltage indicator (this is a simple script that you can get free of the web, or from programs such as ipodvolumebooster).
    Now use GoPod (search this forum) to uncap your iPod to US 103dB (from EU 100dB - don't use ipodvolumebooster for this as the latter doesn't alter the firmware like GoPod does, use the volbooster just to alter the battery indicator).

My settings are:
    Uncapped to US volume limits.
    Volume set to highest.
    Backlight set to 2 seconds
    Shuffle tracks (ie within the playlist - more HD reading so more power?)
    I used a smart playlist that updates automatically, every song...so might theoretically use more power again?
    When charging, the iPod charges to 80% (i think) quite quickly, then on it indicates "charged" but actually just trickle charges the remaining 20% over a longer period. correct me if I'm wrong, but as I started this as soon as the indicator first said charged I'm assuming a starting value as 80% charge.?
    iPod run through remote and sennheiser hd575 symphony cans (which need the higher volume as they're relatively insensitive, hence the uncapping).

then set the iPod to play and leave it alone (no touching the track pad! :) ) in the corner.

I noticed that this way, I can get just under 10.5 hours use. When the battery gets to 100 (i.,e 1.00 volt) the iPod finally switches off.
    Ignoring the first and last 10 minutes, iPod averages a loss of 0.03 volts per 5 minutes (it started on 4.90 volts).

So is 10.5 hours good going or am i missing something for the magical 12 hour mark?
    (if only apple would release a higher mAh Li-Ion battery like Sony has (it's not as if the technology doesn't exist))

Should i be doing something else to extend the battery life?
    can i get replacement hi -life batteries?
    thanx

2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    You've done your research!

If I may be permitted to look at it another way - it'd be a difficult situation to imagine where you'd be playing your portable non-stop for over 10 hours, without having it hooked up to the mains, without having access to re-charge it.

I suppose most people use their units either going to and from work/school, or on a day's shopping expadition, or on the beach. 10 hours is probably enough in any of these situations. Indeed, any longer might be bad for your hearing.

Obviously 20 hours (or 30, or 40) is better than 10, but I would imagine 10 hours is enough for the vast majority of people, in the vast majority of situations.

Steve W

ps I resisted pointing out that, with a Zen, you get longer battery life than an i-pod, and that you can buy spare batteries for under £25, which are user replaceable. Carrying one of these small & light spares doubles the length you can go without having to recharge. Do I get an extra brownie point for restraint? ;-)

SW

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    he hee that's ok, I got the iPod in preference because of SQ, usability, and the fact that I already have a mac. :)
    Am busy revising for exams, so had time to leave the pod in the corner to do the test.
    Just wanted to know if 12hours was possible rather than myth.
    Agree with you about 10 hours being good enough for most use...

4. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    Ah, which exams are those?

My Beach Boys 'Smile' bootleg almost ruined my revision for my finals at Uni.

Steve W

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    postgraduate ones (otherwise known as "let us ruin your life :D" exams