1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod as mass storage device

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jdmartin, Mar 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jdmartin

jdmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a 40Gb MP3 player to take on a 3 week holiday. I like the iPod in terms of styling and features, and it is about the budget I have to spend.

However, I really want to use it as a mass storage device and I don't think the iPod is; can anyone confirm? My understand is that you have to use iTunes to sync MP3s from your PC to it.

I am also not sure about what format is uses. I understand that it creates a different file format on copy and saves this to your hard disk too. (I think it was a WM3 file?)...if it creates a new file, won't that take up hard disk space?

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me. If anyone else can suggest an alternative player for about £250-£300. I have looked at the MPIO HD300 and the Creative Zen. The MPIO has had bad reports of it crashing and I don't think the Zen is available in 40Gb.

All comments greatly received.

Thanks

Jonathan.

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I saw a 40gb Zen in Dixons yesterday. I can't remember how much it cost though, sorry!

3. popester_uk

popester_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    basically, with the ipod, you have a X Gig (X = your chosen model) hard drive. Yes, iTunes is used for the MP3's, and iPhoto for the pictures (on a MAC) but other than that, it's all space you can use for other files. I keep a backup of my preferences folder on mine.

It will just show up as another drive on your machine that you can drag files to and from.

Kelvin (40Gig iPod Photo owner)

4. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can use the Ipod as a mass storage device but you have to tell it to be one through ITunes, there is a tick box in the menu.
    ITunes is what many of us use to manage our music libraries and indeed sync with the Ipod but there are plenty of other software options available if you search for them.

The Ipod supports MP3, AAC(which is an apple only codec) Apple Lossless and WAV. If your music is stored in this fashion on your hard drive then ITunes only links to these files so there is no duplication.
    However, this is not the case if your music files are .WMA (Microsoft only codec) Itunes will say it does not accept this and asks if you want to convert it to the formats it can. It then converts it and creates a new file in this format so it would 'duplicate' the file.

5. jdmartin

jdmartin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These answers are all great, thanks.

So, what are peoples thoughts on the best MP3 player for £250-£300?...iPod, MPIO, Creative or something else?