1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod and iTunes

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rnsdm001, Mar 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rnsdm001

rnsdm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Myself and girlfriend are wanting to buy an ipod.

Now I dont know much about the whole iPod thing. I do know that iTunes exists, where you can purchase albums and singles and drag them onto your iPod.

But isnt iTunes MP3 files? So can I download MP3 files from other sites or am i restricted to using only iTunes

Thankyou :lease: :lease:

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think Itunes will only download from Itunes store over the Net.

But Itunes allows you to add any mp3 file to the library and download it to your Ipod.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Downloads from iTunes are in AAC format, which is mp4. I think nearly all other download services use Restricted WMA format. I'm not sure if this is compatible with the iPod.

I personally would either buy the CD itself or use the iTunes music store to download.

4. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Itunes is able to use AAC (which is MP4), MP3, AIFF, WAV, ALAC files. On the PC it can also import WMA files (it converts them to one of the above formats of your choice).

So files you download from the internet (usually MP3) will generally work. Files in other formats iTunes doesn't use can usually be converted to formats iTunes does use (with third-party utilities). The exception to this is files that are in WMA from paid download sites (these are DRM files, so cannot be used by iTunes).

Files downloaded from the iTunes Music Store are all in AAC format.

Here endeth the lesson... :lesson:

5. rnsdm001

rnsdm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so am i understanding this correctly:

* I can download any mp3 file to my ipod
    * From any internet site

I can still have libaries on itunes right?

6. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes - it shouldn't matter where the mp3 file comes from, once it's on your PC you can add it to the Itunes library and it will be downloaded to your ipod when you sync up (or you can do it manually if you have turned off auto-sync).

No different from ripping a CD using, for example, EAC or MM Jukebox, and then adding it to Itunes and downloading to Ipod.

7. rnsdm001

rnsdm001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    superb - thanks dave