1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod 60GB Photo - what to do when it first arrives?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dancingmatt, Oct 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all

Oh - so excited - my new iPod 60GB Photo arrives tomorrow! :clap: :clap:

So what I'm wondering is - what's the best way to charge it for the first time? When I get a new mobile I usually have to charge it for 16 hours or something the first time, then run it down completely before charging it again, etc., to get it's battery to maximum capacity. Is this a good idea for the iPod photo?

Basically, what should I do once I get my new iPod?!

While I'm here,

- which is better to use - Firewire or USB2? I gather that USB2 is only sometimes quicker than Firewire in practice whereas Firewire always works at full speed, but Firewire is only better for large transfers as opposed to little updates/syncs?

- can the iPod charge over Firewire like it can USB2? I don't think so?

Any help and tips gratefully received! :lease:

Cheers as always

DM

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Don't use it from the box, instead whack it on charge until it's fully charged. Now use as normal till the battery dies, then leave it alone and do a battery test and see how long it plays for, then repeat this and you should be at, above or near the advertised playback time for the product. That's the process I used for my nano, all that 14 hour crap is nonsense, after the ipod says charging complete, guess what charging is complete. Yes trickle charging is also complete at that stage. Pointless using FireWire, it's no quicker to charge and the ipod no longer supports it for file transfers.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If it's a 60Gb photo (i.e. 4G), then the firewire works just fine. It's only the Nanos, Shuffle & the 5G where the firewire is no more.

I'd choose firewire every time given the choice. It seems more reliable to me. Any speed difference isn't worth worrying about.

4. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Yeah it works for charging but you can't use it for putting your sogs or anything across on the new ipods. How do you find firewire more reliable?, they both seem identical to me, whack something in any of them and it works, first time and everytime regardless of whether it's firewire or usb2.0. Has this not been the case for you?.

Anyway when are they developing usb3.0?, usb2.0 is still too slow for me. Scratch that when are they developing faster wireless transfer solutions?, I long for the day that I can get songs on my pod without having to take it out of the draw or stick a stupid cable into it. It's not much to ask is it?.

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm a long-time USB avoider. It's just flakey, especially on PCs. Seems every 'iPod wont sync" problem I've ever come across was fixed by using firewire.

If your USB works, it seems to be fine. It just seems there's a large percentage of cases where it doesn't work, whereas firewire is always good.

I also loathe the way you have to reinstall drivers etc on a PC just because you've plugged something into the next USB port. What the hell's that all about ? Just work, dammit ! You know what the damn thing is, it was working five minutes ago in the other port, so enough already with the installing crap.

Sorry .... USB just does my head in :D

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Oh right, never came across anything like that you see. Never had to reinstall drivers when changing usb ports neither, not that i've ever done that much. Come to think of it i've never needed to install drivers in the first place, XP recognised my printer, ext HD, 2 pods, card reader and bluetooth dongle without having to insert and driver disc(k)s.

I've had many screwups with the PC itself (mostly virus attacks) but never with it's connection ports.

7. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry - not quite following - use it until it dies, leave it alone, then test how long it plays for?

Do you mean just charge it fully, run it down completely (over a couple of days), charge it fully and run it down completely again and that'll be enough to get it "run in"?

So generally speaking, is it always better to completely drain the battery before charging, or continually keep topping it up each day?

It is a 4G 60Gb photo with the original accessory bundle so it comes with the dock, Firewire as well as USB, etc. So surely it does support file transfers? I just hadn't heard of using Firewire to charge something before, having only used USB to charge a mobile etc. Oh well, lots of experimenting to look forward to.

Just itching for the post to arrive now!

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yes, the 4G 60Gb photo supports firewire transfers & charging. I have the same model, and it's never been near a USB port :)

9. rimmep1

rimmep1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    It's generally better to keep the battery topped up after each use, performing at least one power-cycle (full drain, then charge) once a month

Some advice from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

Personally, I'd invest in a proper iPod Power Adapter, charging it from the mains

10. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868

11. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I believe he's already got an AC adapter too. The 4G 60Gb photo with accessories was the last one where everything you need came in the box - carry case, dock, AC, USB, firewire, AV cables.

The following model (still a 4G) had slightly better battery life, but next to nothing in the box. Since I don't care much about battery life, I took the extra accessories.

12. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, I've got the AC adapter (UK plug, connects via the Firewire cable), case, dock, Firewire and USB cables, and the AV cables. Oh, and the iPod hahaha

As far as I was aware this had the same battery life as the 4G 60Gb photo that followed, just Apple cut the price and cut out the accessories. Thought they were the same iPod, just came with different boxes.

I'm well chuffed I got the extra accessories, although I must admit I wouldn't have bought them all...

You seem to suggest that charging it directly from the mains with the AC adapter will be better? Any particular reason?

The manual says it can charge and sync over Firewire, so that sounds good to me. Although I need the Firewire cable to use the AC adapter, so maybe I'll have to connect the dock to my PC with USB for syncing and charging and then I can leave the Firewire-connected AC adapter at my girlfriend's flat for charging there.

13. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +868
    Well it's quicker, and you don't had to switch your PC on to do so.

14. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fair enough...

Since I've got it I've tried it with my PC via USB2 and Firewire. There's not even 1GB on it yet, but when I connected it with USB2 iTunes gets syncing straight away. With Firewire, though, there's about a 10 second delay in which iTunes totally doesn't respond and the iPod just flashes the Do Not Disconnect thing before any syncing happens.

So I don't know about transfer rate, but surely that delay with Firewire isn't right. Any ideas anyone as to what might be taking so long?

15. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  16. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No, 10 seconds doesn't matter - but USB doesn't suffer it. I just don't understand why everything freezes. What I'm asking is "is this common, does this happen with anyone else who connects their iPod via Firewire, or if not then any ideas why it is freezing up?"

And sometimes it's a bit longer.

17. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    USB 2.0 wireless is on the way apparently, and will offer full USB 2.0 speeds, wireless up to 10 meters away.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Now that would be very interesting, it would mean that you could probably use a USB2 external hard drive as you would a NAS drive - put all your music on there and access it from any PC in the house :)