iPod 3in1 Car Adaptor

Lex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Just bought a 3in1 Adaptor for my iPod (Holder/Charger/FM Transmitter)... Was really pleased with this (in theory) as it solved three problems at once, however the radio transmitter seems fundamentally flawed as you get to choose from 88.1 88.3 88.5 or 88.7 FM all of which clash with BBC R2 so basically I cannot get it to work clearly as it sounds all distorted. I have tried it in my car (Mondeo) and also my parents BMW and Volvo as well as a neighbours Freelander... so basically it doesn't work in any car! And yet I have read lots of positive reviews for these things :confused:
Anyone got one, or got any ideas?

Thanks.

This is what it looks like:

Attachments

• ar_ipod1.jpg
    ar_ipod1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 45
Lex said:
Guys,

choose from 88.1 88.3 88.5 or 88.7 FM all of which clash with BBC R2 so
Thanks.

Is it not a transmitter ? I have a belkin one and you flick the switch to say 88.7 then tune your radio to the same then play music from your ipod and it comes through the car speakers.
Work great in my golf, :thumbsup:

The problem is that the preset frequencies clash with Radio 2 where Lex lives it would appear.

I guess because these things are technically illegal in the UK, those available here are designed for use in other countries where these specific frequencies aren't used by radio stations.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no idea that there was anything dodgy about these! I thought they were endorsed by Apple! :rolleyes:

So it would seem that they only work in certain parts of the country? I am still confused as I thought that Radio2 was pretty much the same bandwidth everywhere 88-91 or something like that.

I am moving to the South East in the new year so I don't know whether to keep it and hope it works there or try and get my money back... This is really disappointing because I hate having wires everywhere in my car :thumbsdow

I've tried one of the smaller FM jobbies for my iPod and consigned it to the out tray,simply because of the problem of finding any consistent part of the FM band that isn't being used,and doing so over any significant journey.

It's making me consider an iPod Icelink,which isn't exactly cheap,but does work,and does so via your car's CD changer port if you have one.

geewhizz said:
Work great in my golf, :thumbsup:

Do you get a completely clear signal with no distortion? Whereabouts on the country are you? Cheers.

alexs2 said:
It's making me consider an iPod Icelink,which isn't exactly cheap,but does work,and does so via your car's CD changer port if you have one.

What's an icelink alexs2?

Thanks mate. Just dashing out the door so will take a look tonight :smashin:

Hi lex,

I stay in glasgow, and i get a crystal clear reception.
I did have a polo before and it was rubbish with that, so i used the tape thingy.
Then i bought my golf and i didnt even notice that it didnt have a tape deck in it, Until i went to plug it in. :eek:
Then remebered i had the belkin so tried that and it worked a treat. :thumbsup:
Cant understand why it didnt work with the polo, It must of had better shielding. :lesson:

FM transmittors work well in the Hampshire area (South Central, if you will), when tuned to about 88.3. No clash with Radio 2 whatsoever.

And yes, they are illegal in the UK, because technically, you're broadcasting to an FM frequency without a licence.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom