iPod 30gb Photo USB question

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Louis Mazzini, Mar 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I've got a simple (and very probably stupid) question:
    Everything I've read about the iPod 30gb Photo says it requires USB2 - but will it work with a USB1 socket too (that's all my old PC has). My assumtion is that it will, albeit obviously at the lower speed of USB1 - am I correct?
    Thanks for any answers.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Yes it does, though Apple does not recommend it. They do not give a reason other than the fact that it will be extremely slow. You should remember that the iPod will be active for much longer periods of time when uploading, so additional wear and tear (and possibly heat build up) could be the reason why Apple recommends against this. It is probably best therefore to upload small batches of files at a time to the iPod using a USB 1.1 connection.

Note that FireWire cards and USB 2.0 cards are very cheap and are a better alternative to USB 1.1 over the long term.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,644
    Agree about looking at the possibility of a firewire/usb card. If you've got a spare PCI slot in your computer you can get a combined firewire/USB2 card for reasonable money and the difference it makes is well worth it.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,092
    Does anyone know of a decent pci firewire card that has more than 1 input (and preferrably 3)? I've just got too many devices to connect to my PC!

5. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thanks for the advice guys. I fitted a USB card to my PC a couple of months ago - but could only get it to run at USB 1 speed. Had another fiddle with it last night and, I think, it's now running properly. Cheers.