1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod 20Gig Ipod Mini & Sony HD5...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Toxic Twin, Sep 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Toxic Twin

Toxic Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    as per my previous post I have been in the market looking for a 20 gig player as the battery life on my IPod 1G mini is starting to let me down have been reading about some problems with hissing on piano tracks on the Ilounge forums so thought best way would be to go in to the apple store in Regent st and have a listen.
    Listening to the U2 colour first I noticed whenever I listened to a dance track with lots of bass (e.g felix the housecat) the bass distorted at higher volumes which weren't that high anyway as I assume the EU cap was on.
    I put it down to abuse on the display model and listened to the other 2 colour ipods the 20 & 60 but they had the same problem!
    I am no expert I tried playing with the EQ settings and turning it off etc but still noticed it funny thing was when i went and listened to a mini in the store it sounded great!!
    I then went into the virgin megastore @ piccadilly and listened to the HD5 they only had 2 tracks on it but they were funky 70's ish sounding but the bass was crystal the song was encoded at 256 atrac.

So my choice has almost been made for me I will almost certainly get a sony although i will wait till the new one comes out just to compare them.
    My question to sony owners is if I want to keep my songs in itunes ( i will have to rip about 50 -60 cd's again as they are mostly encoded in aac) I can just import them into SS right leaving my itunes mp3s intact as I will rip in mp3 format at a high bitrate so i don't have to rip them again in case i change players again at some stage.
    will SS create another library so if i have 10 gig of music on itunes I will actually have 20 gig as it will be doubled if that makes sense?
    I have a few posts by members here saying they only use SS for uploading songs to the hd5.

thx
    A

2. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    SS import will just use the original copy, unless you convert to ATRAC. So you will only have 10gb.

I use SS to upload my playlists, which I create using winamp.

There are other apps that allow you to upload your music. You will find these useful, epsecially if you have good ID3 tags.

3. Toxic Twin

Toxic Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that!!!
    THATS GREAT NEWS!!!
    That also answers my other questions about playlists I know itunes is great with smart playlists but I don't really use them I do however create lots of playlists so will wait with baited breath for the new wlakmans to be released but have just seen the sony hd5 on amazon for about 170 or so at that price might even get the 30 gig!

4. Tyranny4u

Tyranny4u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new Sony Aseries seems to have a built in battery.. The HD5 is a replaceable one..
    I was going to wait for the new Sony , but to be honest , I am not keen on the built in battery, and I think the thing looks awful, and its supposed to be bigger than the HD5...
    I thought things were supposed to improve with newer models.