1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod - 2 question. Help please!!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by CraigHolt, Aug 4, 2005.

Tags:
  1. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two questions I would really appreciate help with:
    1) Ive just bought a new amp/speaker system. What is the best way to link my ipod up with this?
    2) I only own a laptop so delete my music once I have put it on to my ipod (dont have enough storage to keep in on my laptop as well). I would like to wirelessly stream music to my new system which I assume means I need my music collection within my itunes. I am therefore planning to buy an external storage system for my laptop to store my music. What I wanted to know was a)do i need to do this or is there a way or wirelessly doing it from my laptop and b)how do I put the songs that I have deleted back onto my laptop. I am aware there are some difficulties with this from the way the songs are encrypted or something?? Is it possible?

Thanks very much for any help!
    :D

Craig

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Well, on 1) you simply buy the dock for the iPod (if not buying a previous version of photo iPod, which includes it) and ues the output from it into the Hi-Fi (Aux/Line In input). You'll need a 3.5mm stereo mini jack to stereo RCA (male) phonos.

2) Wireless solution exists - Airport Express - plug in near Hi-Fi, and run same adapter cable as above into Hi-Fi.

To get songs off iPod, make sure auto sync is off in iTunes Preferences - set to manual update, and use EphPod, I think it's called. I presume your using a Windows machine? Check versiontracker.com for a list of similar utilities.
    Go to Advanced tab, select the new external HDD as the location for the MP3s - in a folder labelled, say, Music or Tunes.
    Enable the 2 options below to keep folder organised and copy files to folder.......
    Select the MP3 files in their various folders, once you've pulled them off the iPod, onto the external drive, and drop them onto the iTunes window. Make sure it's iTunes' Library and not the iPod's - eject the iPod if you want to be absolutely sure, but you shouldn't need to.
    The songs' details may need re done again as recent iPod updates has renamed the songs on the iPod as AHR8XS.mp3 or .acc. Whether this is retained when dropped into iTunes, I've no idea - I would imagine not and the mp3/aac tags will still be preserved and iTunes will read that and display as such.

3. CraigHolt

CraigHolt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!