iPlayer volume too loud

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Fodda, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Fodda

Fodda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can put up with the relatively small differences in sound volume between standard def and high def TV channels, but the incredibly loud volume when watching iPlayer is veritably ear shattering. A massive -15dB difference at my amp's settings (-32 down to -47 to get a similar colume level).

I've had a quick look around the Settings pages but can find nothing about selecting any kind of volume adjustments for different Tivo viewing preferences.

Am I blind or do I have to remember to adjust the volume whenever I go to iPlayer?

2. Boostrail

Boostrail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    As always with sound problems posted on here they always seem to be related to the use of an external amp.

If you connect the (Asssumed V+ or TiVo) direct to the TV via HDMI? do you get the same problem? If not the problem is with your amp!

I do not use an external amp and do not have any problem. Indeed SD and HD iPlayer sound levels mimic exactly those of the original "live" broadcasts.

HTH

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. Fodda

Fodda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's Tivo by the way. I'll have to have a go at that, but it does mean digging into the back of the alcove that contains all the hi-fi... Not a chore I relish as the unit is very heavy to pull forward. I could always just buy a new HDMI cable though and run that from Tivo to TV.

Thanks for the advice.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,135
    Sorry, but why would there be a difference if the TiVo were to be connected directly to a TV as opposed to being connected to an external amplifier? A TV still has its own internal amplifier, but may not have the ability to deal with Dolby Digital or discrete 5.1? How does connecting the TiVo to the TV resolve the problem if the OP then loses acess to Dolby Digital 5.1 in the process? Even if the TV has DD capabilities, you'd still get the difference associated with the greater dynamic range of Dolby Digital if the TV were directly connected to the TiVo.

I do have my TiVo connected to my AV amp, but I too cannot say I've noticed any discernible difference between the volume of live broadcasts and content viewed via the iPlayer.

Do you mainly view HD channels as opposed to SD while viewing live TV? It could be that you notice a difference between live TV and the iPlayer's volume because the HD channels (apart from ITV) use Dolby Digital audio encoding, but the iPlayer uses PCM for both HD and SD content. THis is relevant because Dolby Digital has a wider dynamic range and it can at first seem to be quieter than TV audio encoded as PCM. What exactly are you comparing the iPlayer audio to?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  5. Fodda

Fodda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks yet again dante. We watch any channel in HD if it has an HD option (BBC1, ITV1, C4, Discovery etc etc) and everything else in SD. The difference in volume between these HD and SD channels is very small but noticeable and not really a problem. A 2dB change or so down from SD to HD. We can live with that and it sounds like the difference in dynamic range you mentioned.

When we watch normal TV (HD and SD) we usually have the volume (the numbers on the AV amp) set to -33 to -30 ish. (Blu-rays are all played at -30 as this seems to be the best option for our room/hi-fi layout).

But going to iPlayer (especially if we've forgotten) sounds like an express train in the room. Volume has to be reduced on the amp to about -45 or lower. A great neighbour annoyer at midnight or thereabouts.

All I want to do is set the Tivo so that the relative volumes of HD and SD TV is pretty much the same as Tivo iPlayer so that we don't have to rush to the remote to reduce volume when playing an iPlayer programme.

I'm using HDMI to my AV amp, then HDMI out to the TV. We have a 5.1 setup, with the front left and right bi-wired for HQ music listening in stereo. (Music volume from CDs, turntable and Squeezebox Touch is all great at around the -35 to -30 range as well, as is the radio output from the AV amp, it's purely iPlayer (so far) that is incredibly loud compareed to everything else.)

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,135
    I'd imagine the issue is due to further compression of the audio when preparing content for the net based iPlayer service? This would further force the dynamic range into a narrower band.

Does your amp have any form of dynamic range control at its disposal? You could try using this to equalise the changes.