iplayer on Panasonic TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Lorna, Jan 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Lorna

Lorna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to use iplayer on my Panasonic TV, it is linked to my pc via broadband & twonkymedia, but I can only get TV viewing through Sky as no other signal in my area. How do I get iplayer? can anyone help?

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,346
    Buy a samsung or sony blu ray player :)

3. Lorna

Lorna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! but the TV is supposed to be capable of receiving iplayer I just dont understand how to get it, I dont really want to spend any more money if it is capable without...............

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,346
    I didn't think the BBC iPlayer app was available for panasonic smart tv solutions....If it is release you should be able to download it, but if not you can't put it on in my understanding.

5. Lorna

Lorna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear! I guess I will have to trek off to Panasonic shop, I'm sure they told me I could get it! Watch this space - I will let you know if I can get it or if you are right and I can't! Thanks for the info

6. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,346
    Best to wait for one of the Panasonic owners to come over to this thread. Are you sure it is not in the viera internet portal on the TV?

7. Lorna

Lorna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I've connected to my Facebook through Viera, and You Tube, and my photo's etc that's great, I've got iplayer on my PC too but frustratingly I can't get it on the tele, it's not on the Viera selection available or in the "store" as far as I can see

8. vyleside

vyleside
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What model TV do you have? For this year's range, don't plug the TV into your pc, plug it into your internet connection and dowload it through viera connect marketplace.

9. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    I take it you do not have a freesat equipped TV? Iplayer is available via the red button.

10. Lorna

Lorna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic TX-P42G20BA, where we live there is no TV reception even with aerial so we get TV via Sky only which doesn't have iplayer. I did look in Viera marketplace but couldnt see iplayer there, I will look again, is it definately available?

At the mo I have connect to my desktop pc via a wireless Panasonic dongle in the TV, I also have Sky Broadband.

On BBC website I read something about I might need a internet home plug "thing" I can't remember the exact wording! because of the streaming and download speeds required.

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,346
    I don't know whether you 'need' it. But yes I've got one in the lounge from devolo which not only provides wireless but also three cabling points. This then goes via the electricity cabling to another home plug that is near the broadband router and plugged into that one.

Works very well and is how I viewed iPlayer on my sammy.

12. Lorna

Lorna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that sounds like what the BBC website suggested, do I need two then?

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,346
    Yes, a starter kit would come with two.

So you don't have current direct Internet on your tv? Does your Panasonic have wireless or Ethernet or both?

Don't forget that if it has Ethernet you might need cables as well :)

14. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,318
    To get iplayer, you need to connect up the TV to get Freesat. This is means another feed from your Sky dish.

You also need an internet connection - wired or wireless, but wired is more reliable.

Once you have these connections in place, you can get iplayer on the red button.

(At least, this worked for me!)

15. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,346
    Is that a panasonic thing? Surely all it needs is an Internet connections just like on any other device that connects to iPlayer.

16. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Some Panasonic tvs don't allow you to access iPlayer from a menu and you have to have it connected to Freeset to get the red button to access it. This would appear to be a pretty silly design choice that new Panasonics don't suffer from. No fix other than to buy a new tv or add a media box or bluray player. Sony/Samsung etc, it doesn't matter if you have a signal and where from, you got to the internet section and select the service you want.

17. fiddiwebb

fiddiwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have a Viera Cast button on your remote?

Have you done a software update for your TV?

I just bought a Panasonic ST30 last week and can get BBC iplayer through Viera Connect, it used to be Viera Cast which did not have iplayer but it changed recently to Viera Connect and with the new updates iplayer is available.

Connect an ethernet cable from your tv to the ethernet port on the back of your router/modem.

18. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a TX-P42G30B at Christmas - don't know what the A on the end of your model number means.
    I found this thread because I tried iPlayer through the TV for the first time last night and had a problem.
    My TV is cable connected to my router and I did full firmware upgrades during installation. There is an Internet button on my remote (third from the left on the second row) that manual says can sometimes be labelled Viera Cast. If I press that one of the options is iPlayer and it is reasonably easy to navigate to the programme you want. I have a poor internet connection of just less than 1Mb as I am on ADSL out in the sticks. The iPlayer is unwatchably jerky.
    I also have a Humax Foxsat-HDR that I use to access Freesat, I watch Freeview through the TV tuner, that is also cable connected to my router. This has the option to connect to iPlayer through channel 901 which uses the Internet (lots of activity on the router) and works perfectly after a start up delay.
    I think the difference must be something to do with buffering and resolution setting. Expert Reviews mentions something about the TV defaulting to SD but HD being an option, I can't find a control for this option and wonder if my TV is trying to use HD but hasn't got enough bandwidth. The Humax does have an option of higher resolution but I just let it do what it wants!
    Does anybody know how these two work and if I can change how the TV works? (I could try Panasonic Tech Support but they haven't answered an issue I raised last week yet, do they ever?)

19. fiddiwebb

fiddiwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your TX-P42G20BA is a 2010 model then you might not be able to receive iplayer through Viera Connect even with the updates.

20. Ivah

Ivah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having posted the iPlayer resolution question made me concentrate a bit harder. Found the iPlayer settings function (not mentioned in the manual) and reduced to resolution to get a smooth playback even at 1Mb.

21. stuk100

stuk100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Panasonic Viera TXL37ET5B last week and set up a wireless connection to access viera connect.

In short everything works well except Iplayer which refuses to even load.

I can watch HD content on Netflix with no issues whatsoever, so I do not think it is down to band width. I have virgin cable broadband (10mb/s)

When I select the Iplayer Icon, i get the revolving dot in the middle of the screen followed by the "iplayer is loading" screen. It will proceed no further, even when left for half an hour or more.

The firmware is fully up to date on the television so I am at a loss (and a bit frustrated) as Iplayer functionality was one of the main reasons for purchasing the television.

I did send an email to Panasonic, but so far no response.

Any assistance or ideas you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

22. sconny

sconny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I have a slightly different issue. I live abroad and have downloaded ExPat Shield to allow me to access BBC iPLayer. I have a TX-L47ET50E smart TV connected to my home network. I am trying to work out how to view either streaming or download programs accessed via iPlayer. Cannot see how to do this via streaming but I also note that if I download a program as a .wmv file and put this into the windows media library then I would suppose this could be played either via the 'play to' function in windows media (but no 'device cannot be found') or via the TV media centre by selecting my PC, then going through successive menu choices to find the file (but no - file not supported').

I feel there should be a solution - Any Ideas?
    Sconny

23. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Downloaded ipayer files used to be viewable only through iplayer on the PC from which it was downloaded (and time limited). There were many tutorials on how to "hack" it so that it can be saved and played through other PC or player.
    This has become unnecessary as there have been so many other options available in the last couple of years.
    I do not know if it is still the case with your downloaded files.

24. Pith Helmet

Pith Helmet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem as 'sconny'. I currently live outside the UK and use Tunnel Bear to access the BBC iplayer via my PC. I just purchased a Panasonic ou seies smart TV and I am unable to add the BBC iplayer. The TV is connected to my modem via a cable and connects easily to other sites. Any help greatfully received.:lease:

25. Curly99

Curly99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    As measures to stop access to non UK based viewers of programmes via the BBC iPlayer have been implemented by the BBC, help to circumvent these measures can not be discussed on the forum.

Curly

26. Pith Helmet

Pith Helmet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not discussing how to gain access to the BBC from overseas, I have already achieved that, all I wish to know is how to view this access on my TV.

And by the way, as a Brit living overseas, the BBC is a vital link to my heritage and culture and a means of keeping abreast of events in dear old Blighty, surely that cant be wrong, if I could pay a licence fee I would gladly!

27. Curly99

Curly99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    I am not here to discuss the rights or wrongs of viewing the BBC content abroad.. due to rights..etc the BBC does not allow access to non uk residents so discussion of accessing it is not allowed... having said that could it not be as simple as connecting the PC with the access to the TV via HDMI or VGA??

Curly

28. Pith Helmet

Pith Helmet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Curly,

Thanks for your patience, as I say its not easy keeping in touch with whats happening in Blighty, especially from NZ. I agree with you, I think that the only option I have is to connectr the TV via a VGA or even update my graphics card with one that has an HDMI port. Regards, Tim

29. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Apart from PC, which I loathe to connect to a TV, there are options of phones and tablets with BBC iPlayer app and connect the device to TV via HDMI. There are also stand alone cheap android box to do the same job.
    It is better option rather than upgrading PC video card.