Question Iplayer down grade on Youview

mints

Established Member
Reaction score
I have two Sony tv's and dvd players plus two Humax Freeview recorder boxes, all have iplayer and all produce quality picture with no buffering or interruptions with the picture even when several are streaming at the same time.
I also now have a youview box in order to access the itv hub, however I notice in the iplayer settings menu on this box there are only two choices of video quality the best being " best quality available " in my other units there are three choices the best being " hd "
The youview box produces a very poor image on iplayer it cannot be down to my internet service ( talktalk) because the other units give no problems.
I have been told that the youview box has the latest version of iplayer and its not up to much, is this the case and if so why produce something that seems to be a backward step.

I think that the newer version of BBC iPlayer selects the quality to match what it thinks your box will take, rather than the 'old' method of user selectability. Personally, I would prefer the high quality version even if there is an occasional small bit of buffering. But now we don't have the option.

Yes so it would seem I have experimented this afternoon and the quality is terrible with artefacts and general lack of clarity wear as the older iplayer version is faultless.
I pity those purchasing new units because I assume unless you have presumably a fibre connection internet you are unlikely to be happy.
I cannot believe I am the only one suffering this.

Novel concept about internet connections not being 'strong enough'. :rotfl:

Switch your box back to the standard iPlayer. ie, take it off BBC Beta.

Switch your box back to the standard iPlayer. ie, take it off BBC Beta.
Well I will if I can find out how to do it, I have not switched it to beta in the first place its how it came out of the box.
I have noticed on the six units that work ok there is an invite to try beta but I will avoid doing that like the plague.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom