iPlayer, 4OD etc on aTV2 with aTVFlash - how?

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have an AppleTV 2 and bought aTV Flash to allow me to stream direct from my NAS, it's all I currently use it for. However read somewhere that you can add iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player etc as well. If so how please?

I bought aTV flash as basically it done it all for me, so please simple instructions :)

Also I like the menu system and don't want it clogged up, so is this possible or do you need loads if customisation to get all these

Cheers

Last edited:
Through XBMC there are some of those sites available as plugins, you can also use a DLNA server with XBMC like Serviio which has plugins for some of those site, I'm not aware of any for atvflash. ATVflash enables iOS web browser so some of those sites might work through that.

Might be easier if you have an iPhone to airplay the media (if supported) to it.

Yeah I have an iPad so can do it that way, but just wanted an easier way just using the aTV in case iPad being used.

I use the inbuilt media player for my streaming needs but just wanted the iPlayer, 4OD, 5 demand etc as other options. I will use XBMC if that what it takes but just for the catchup. Anyone know how please using aTVflash

Cheers

Did you find out about this pal?
Im using ATVflash,for plex really,i found it works much better than the flash player one,it did for me anyway.
It would be cool to have iplayer etc on my ATV,i have them on plex on my ipad,but cant find it on the ATV plex...
Ill have a look this evening.

Nope no one gave me a reply that I can find apart from use an iPad with airplay, but I want to use without this

There's quite bait of bits about it on you tube,but it involves using ssh,and other weird things,that I haven't a clue about!!! and terminal,and I can't be a***d to mess about with all that.
Xbmc just doesn't click with me,I don't know why lol,so I'm not going to install stuff using that.
Seems to me,that xbmc,is way too complicated(maybe that's just me),but life's too short to be getting wound up on that one.
Plex rocks,it didn't at first,but had a re jailbreak,reinstalled,and all is cool.well happy with it.
So,I suppose moto gp,will be air played from the iPad,oh well,that rocks too really.

I have an Apple TV2 that I bought as it intergrates with my TV and surround sound system. Its primary purpose was to stream music to my reciever and photos to my TV and it does this perfectly. I then tried renting movies from itunes from it and again it was very good. After reading about jailbreaking and installing xbmc, iplayer, icefilms etc I got very excited and spent an evening installing everything. My thought on all this additional functionality.........it is utter rubbish. Navigating the menus witihin XBMC is slow and unresponsive, only about 10% of the films I have tried on icefilms have worked and the interface on iplayer is nowhere near as good as as I can get on my xbox.
Stick with airplay from your ipad, it is a much better experience than delving into the waters of XBMC.

I have an Apple TV2 that I bought as it intergrates with my TV and surround sound system. Its primary purpose was to stream music to my reciever and photos to my TV and it does this perfectly. I then tried renting movies from itunes from it and again it was very good. After reading about jailbreaking and installing xbmc, iplayer, icefilms etc I got very excited and spent an evening installing everything. My thought on all this additional functionality.........it is utter rubbish. Navigating the menus witihin XBMC is slow and unresponsive, only about 10% of the films I have tried on icefilms have worked and the interface on iplayer is nowhere near as good as as I can get on my xbox.
Stick with airplay from your ipad, it is a much better experience than delving into the waters of XBMC.

There is more to XBMC than just Icefilms, the reason they dont work is because the site was taken down that was storing all the illegal files.

I have Iplayer, 4OD, ITV Player & TV Catchup all working on my Apple TV 2 via XBMC and its great :thumbsup:
I dont find it slow at all navigating the menu's, a few clicks and can be watching Iplayer without any issue.

Plus XBMC is great for playing back non apple format video's and having all the media info with it.

King Tones said:
There is more to XBMC than just Icefilms, the reason they dont work is because the site was taken down that was storing all the illegal files.

I have Iplayer, 4OD, ITV Player & TV Catchup all working on my Apple TV 2 via XBMC and its great :thumbsup:
I dont find it slow at all navigating the menu's, a few clicks and can be watching Iplayer without any issue.

Plus XBMC is great for playing back non apple format video's and having all the media info with it.
Can you tell me how to get iPlayer, 4OD, ITV player, and TV catch on it then please?

I use the inbuilt media player to play non apple formats, it gathers meta data automatically, covers, info etc. Work's great

MrMister111 said:
Can you tell me how to get iPlayer, 4OD, ITV player, and TV catch on it then please?

I use the inbuilt media player to play non apple formats, it gathers meta data automatically, covers, info etc. Work's great

Do you have XBMC already on the Apple TV?

King Tones said:
Do you have XBMC already on the Apple TV?

I don't but via aTVflash it's a 1 button install, then what do I do please

Cheers

Can you PM me on how to install iplayer etc.

Many thanks in advance

Would anyone care to share how this is done? I found TV Catchup and iPlayer but not 4OD, or ITV. Thanks.
If you have navi-x installed, you can get most of the repositories you need from the apps folder. The 4od/5 on Demand is Nibor's repo :smashin:

If you have navi-x installed, you can get most of the repositories you need from the apps folder. The 4od/5 on Demand is Nibor's repo :smashin:

Thanks. I got 4OD and ITV working, I get errors with 5 (not bothered though!)

Since installing TV Catchup though, XBMC seems to regularly shut down, so that when I start up, I'm on Apple's own screen rather than XBMC.

I do not have, to my knowledge, any sleep or quit timer settings.

Could there be something I have missed that is causing this to happen?

Last edited:
I can't seem to get 4OD to work anymore :(
It was working a while back but not this morning when trying to watch Kevin McCloud's Man Made Home.
Have uninstalled it and installed it from Nibors repo, mossy's repo and sinful xbmc but keep getting an error.
Anyone have any ideas or able to check on their Apple TV ?

I have just checked the 4OD that I installed the other day and it is working for me.

But this is the odd thing with XBMC/ATV isn't it...Sportsdevil just stopped working for me yesterday as I sat down with a cuppa and a plate of biscuits to watch a match, thus ruining my Saturday afternoon.

Cheers for checking. I forgot I had 4od on my 360 so watching it now. I have not updated my ATV or xbmc for a while so could be that.

I can't seem to get 4OD to work anymore :(
It was working a while back but not this morning when trying to watch Kevin McCloud's Man Made Home.
Have uninstalled it and installed it from Nibors repo, mossy's repo and sinful xbmc but keep getting an error.
Anyone have any ideas or able to check on their Apple TV ?
Is it all of 4OD? because there is a problem with the repo playing mp4. The latest Shameless wont play. I read on the XBMC forum that it wont be fixed anytime soon.

Just as well there's other repo's to use.

emcor99 said:
Is it all of 4OD? because there is a problem with the repo playing mp4. The latest Shameless wont play. I read on the XBMC forum that it wont be fixed anytime soon.

Just as well there's other repo's to use.

Yeah seems to be all of 4OD and comes up with the mp4 error. Any suggestions on another repo?
Itv player and 5OD seems fine.

Yeah seems to be all of 4OD and comes up with the mp4 error. Any suggestions on another repo?
Itv player and 5OD seems fine.
I mainly use Navi-x as it has a great search fuction. There is also a good list of repo's in Navi-x which can be download with in Navi-x, they are handy to have for when Navi-x is running slow (at the weekend)

What is Navi-x?
Taken from their site.

What is Navi-X?

Navi-X is a media browser, which allows you to browse and play streaming video, audio, image, text and rss feeds from the internet!

Navi-X is similar to a web browser, but instead plays .plx files or playlists instead of HTML files located on the internet or your Xbox.

How does it work?

With Navi-X, you can create your own playlists of streaming media without needing to know how to program a Python script. Just use a

simple text editor or “Notepad” on your computer to edit your playlist, then upload it to the internet for the world to see immediately!

If scripting or coding isn’t your thing, just sit back and browse the already created playlists available from the Navi-X Media Portal!

People all over the world have already created playlists for many popular broadcasting networks and organizations like NASA, The Discovery Channel, Adult Swim and much much more! You can also view Podcasts, ShoutCAST and YouTube channels as well!

Why is Navi-X the best streaming media browser available?

Navi-X is the most popular streaming media browser available for the Xbox Media Center, and with good reasons:

1. Navi-X has the best content from across the globe and the highest rates of uptime period!

2. Navi-X has a dedicated staff of programmers and scriptors, who update content on the media portal on a daily basis!

3. No other media browser is as user-friendly and customizable as Navi-X!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom