IPL Acoustics SW5

ABC*

Been looking at self build subs - anyone have any experience of the IPL Acoustics SW5?
I currently own 2 REL Q50's and a Paradigm PS1000 - the Paradigm is great for movie rumble and the REL's are more 'musical' but I want just 1 sub (well the other half does!) that does both and preferably goes a bit deeper.

philmate

Hi, yes i have and many others, try a search. I had the original 10" ipl sub, cant remember the model number and i have the avc centre and the MTL 3 transmission line for the fronts, Ivan the owner is a nice guy and you can talk to him by phone. The sub i could never get out of it what a friend did in his room and even now with an svs i struggle, prob my misunderstanding of set ups or my room.Thinking of asking someone to check it all as i'm getting on and cant be bothered anymore. Anyway my friends sub, the 10", in his lounge i remember the scene from Pearl Harbour where the spitfire crashes into the sea, the impact hit you in the chest and the reverberation of it washes over you, something i never experienced even when i tried his sub in mine. Do i recommend IPL, yes i do, the sw5 with a 12" can only do more.
Kind regards
Phil.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
I think the question you have to ask yourself, is can you buy and build the SW5 for less than some very capable commercial subwoofers like, for instance a BK Monolith?

Russell

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Then if it depends on whether you think your time is worth £75(ish) and if, having spent that time, you'll end up with something that's actually better. To some, the point of DIY is the fun of DIY, in which case there's little arguement.

FWIW, The IPL kit looks like just the ticket for a decent sealed sub, but what worries me is the talk of "equalisation built into the crossover circuit". EQ in this instance is normally a Linkwitz Reilly (or similar) curve made to extend the bass response of a given cabinet/driver combination at the expense of a much steeper roll off lower down.

Now, because the sub is being 'forced' into making low bass at levels louder than it naturally would, there are two pay offs.

One is that it won't go that loud or at least current limiting will mean the bottom end progressively disappears as you turn it up.

Two is that EQ of any sort introduces phase shifts that can slur musical timing and the subs flat response may combine with room gain to give an overblown bottom end, thus making things sound thick and sluggish. This is why any number of subs get called "musical" - generally speaking the bread are sealed boxes that roll off steadily (without EQ), that when factoring in room gain give a flat response in room and thus excellent timing. That and the fact they're generally too underpowered to trouble the rooms main modes at anything like decent volumes.

So it will go deeper than the PS1000, it will go louder than the Q50s, but it might fall between two stools unless you have a decent size room where room gain is less of a factor.

Russell

ABC*

I think maybe I'll just save a bit more cash and sell the other subs as the Monolith seems to have a good reputation - I'll just need to find somewhere to put it!

ABC*

I've manged to get one of the older IPL subs-the SW2 from Ebay and I'm picking it up Saturday.
The missus is going to kill me-that'll be 4 subs in the lounge:D