iPhoto crashes a lot?

BandofBrothers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does iPhoto seem generally quite unstable and crash quite often?

I am using the latest version of iPhoto, with OSX Lion (everything fully updated / patched) with a 2.2ghz core 2 duo, 8gb ram, 320gb hdd in my mid-2009 MBP.

I have 4,569 photos in total in iPhoto, and these are divided up into around 15 albums at the moment. I generally work with RAW files these days since dabbling in photography again, and it just seems unstable. Sometimes it will be fine, whilst others I will get the spinning beachball and the program will just quit / close with no errors.

Any suggestions :thumbsdow ?

I have a lot of GPU issues with iPhoto and until the latest release was on the point of giving up. I do think its uncharacteristically buggy for a) Apple and b) one of the most fundamentally important apps. Never had problems ever with this app until now.

I would suggest using iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild, but I think its gone paid now. Did help me a few months back.

... and there's an update released a few minutes ago v9.3.1

First thing with something unstable is to verify/repair permissions through disk utility.
Second thing to do is going into library maintenance mode, hold down option+apple key and launch iPhoto. Do your repairs/rebuilds etc not sure why Tenex suggests a paid app for that as it is build in. But make certain you have a backup before you do any of this.
Third thing once it is nice and clean and none of these problems is install the latest update..

And if it still doesn't work, and considering you generally use RAW anyway, upgrade to Aperture :p

In my case internal rebuilding did nothing, the app was free use for rebuilding and worked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom