iPhone, you gonna get one then?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by apolloa, Sep 18, 2007.

1. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    So:

£269, tariffs are: £35 £45 and £55, all 18 month contracts and no mention of the iPhones price dropping as the tariffs rise?

NO 3G that's just plain crazy for that price, it makes the iPhone I think the only 2G device at that price level, O2 will also only have about 30% EDGE coverage on it's network at launch :clap: -- I was being sarcastic their!

Wait till next year and get the 3G version so you can use ya Google maps and browsing without being sat in McDonalds or Starbucks I say.

What are your views people?

Links:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/18/apple-iphone-hits-o2-in-the-uk-on-november-9th/
    http://stuff.tv/news/apple-iphone-hits-the-uk-on-9-november-!1/default.aspx
    http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/communications/mobile_phone/uk-iphone-launched

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,301
    I'm getting one, the £45 tariff will do me just fine....I've have browsed for years on GPRS 2G and done my e-mails...No problem at all....Rather have the better battery life compared to the 3G handsets that are out which don't last me a day without charging...

3. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    The price of the phone and it being 2G, I don't really have a problem with.

It's the tariffs! However I'm slowly starting to justify that £15 more a month than I pay now (i currently pay £30 for 300 mins, 750 texts and a free upgrade) is only £180 more a year, which isn't really much :rolleyes:

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,301
    Don't forget that it includes both unlimited mobile data and wifi hotspot access....That is easily £10 per 24 hours or £40/30 days by itself....Unlimited data tariffs are at least £7.50 on top of a t-mobile tarrif but with restrictions...

We don't know the restrictions on O2 yet (like FUP and traffic shaping etc).....So from that perspective if you were someone who used data you should add that into the equasion....When you do, I find it actually more competative then other solutions out there....

Just wonder whether hotspot access can be used via my laptop as well, then I am laughing :)

5. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    apaprently there is a FUP; O2 have released details as yet.

6. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I think Steve Jobs mentioned 1400 web pages a day is the FUP. I would rather hear that in terms of Mb.

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,301
    Agreed, guess it is too early for the details and T&C's....Though would you have time to read 1400 pages per day on your phone!? Likewise I wouldn't download full e-mail messages with attachments that I can't read anyway....So 1400/day seems enough, but Mb's would be preferrable...

8. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No. Considering I'm looking at buying a 3G modem for my laptop because of crap wi-fi coverage outside London, I own an 80GB ipod and I'd rather have something that fits comfortably in my pocket, I'll pass for the time being. I have to say that the lack of 3G is the main factor.

9. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too expensive for me. I may be jumping in if they bring out the second iphone

10. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Im gonna buy one from the States and unlock it, im on O2 already but not that interested in an 18 month contract and i'll do most of my browsing at home so will be using the WiFi function mostly.

Wonder if O2 will be doing the unlimited data package as a bolt on....

11. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,301
    Personally I would not buy a 3G Modem card or anything....I'm using my Nokia E65 as a modem with my Macbook at the moment and that works a dream...Single contract equals a lot of savings and does not drain the battery of the laptop like USB or PCI or PCMCIA or PCCard do...And no bits to break off when you forget to take it out and put the laptop back in its back as many a friend has done...

12. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,518
    Can't comment on O2's deal, too many questions needs answering first. I wont be getting one though - if it had 30+ GB storage and GPS built in, then i would buy one - even at that money (which is steep no matter how you look at it). But it will be a year or two before it does. I dont like 1 gen tech either.

13. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Its a nice device, wont be getting one though as its never a good career move to turn up to work sporting a competitors wares.

14. lisnalee

lisnalee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I would have got one if orange had won the contract, bad history with 02 customer service muppets :mad:

Looks like ill just have to find an unlocked one :devil:

15. richcandy

richcandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I don't know what to do. I have bought one on ebay from the states thats been unlocked or so I have been told. Should be here on the weekend or Monday.

If this works with my o2 £15 per month 200 mins and 400 text then I guess I will just keep with that. Just as long as I can get O2 active working and itunes. (Just bought a new laptop and only today found out that Windows Vista Home Basic cannot run itunes so I guess thats going to be an expensive upgrade)

However would be nice to get a new phone thats not been played about with and that I can call O2 for help with.

Does anyone know anymore about whats going to happen on the 9th? Will O2 or apple open at midnight? And if I just turn up at the apple store on regent street or o2 oxford street on the morning of the 9th will they have like 100 phones and 300 customers?

Rich

16. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I am going to get one. I expected it to be £300+ to buy, so pleased at the purchase price. I think the £35 monthly tariff is expensive for 200 minutes and texts, but that will be just about enough for me. Pleased with the wifi deal, seems there are plenty of hotspots around where I live/work.

Overall, I'm happy to pay that much for the functionality the iPhone brings, plus being a lite phone user means the lowest tariff will cover my needs.

17. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Have to admit I am pretty surprised by the number of you guy's willing to buy it. Where I live in Dorset WiFi Hotspots are'nt exactly commonplace but 3G coverage is just about. I would never pay £269 for ANY phone on contract, you could get an iTouch iPod and an N95 for the same money on any network and tariff you want.

Still if you like it then fine, go for it.

18. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Am I going to get one? Simple answer, no. I prefer functions/features over style. The iphone lacks a few features that a majority of other phones have. That and I wouldn't touch o2 with a barge pole.

19. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    It is £269 to buy. Will you be charged this price, even if you sign up to a contract with O2, or will it be free with a contract?

20. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    £269 including contract. As far as I know, you can't buy it without the contract.

21. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    You can only buy it for £269... The Contract is activated when you connect it up through iTunes, so no, there's no way to get it free on contract.

I was thinking about this for a long time. I've been saving since the announcement in Jan, thinking the price was gonna be £400 or so. £269 was a pleasant surprise, but the plans aren't brilliant.

I've been thinking though, and if I'm able to email people for free, then it'd reduce a lot of my text messages. The minutes... Well, £45 is a tenner more than I'm paying on Orange, for 100 more minutes. I can do that.

More and more, I'm coming round to the idea. I think I'll be in the queue in Regent Street on the 9th of November...

22. Tunney

Tunney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No, there's too many downsides.

Yes, it will turn heads but it's too expensive and doesn't have the features I need.

Unlimited HSDPA (i.e. Web'n'Walk) is way better than unlimited EDGE + WiFi. Public WiFi hotspots are always annoyingly slow. I'd definitely want HSDPA on an internet device.

Also, £35pm for 200 mins/200 texts/data is on par with the £22.50 deal I'm on at the moment!

That's before you even consider the fact it costs £200+ more than any phone currently on the market. Oh, and the fact that not all headphones fit in the headphone socket.

23. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Then regretting it six months later when the 16Gb version is released after xmas the prices drop and your tied into the contract for another year +

24. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Dear oh dear Apple:nono: didn't realise it didn't have a standard headphone socket..surely not :confused:

It'slooking more and more like I'll be passing this over and getting either a Samsung F700 or an N95 8Gb

25. Kieron

Kieron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,149
    It's slightly recessed. I had to trim my headphones ever so slightly. Not a big problem.

26. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    I believe the headphone socket is standard, it's recessed though so only Apple headphones fit, you'll just need ti get a little adapter for other headphones.
    I just got my P1i for £360 SIM FREE, Just under £100 more, it browses the web just fine and the OS on it is just fine and I can run my TomTom 6 on it, use any Bluetooth headset and stream to stereo bluetooth headphones etc etc. Beats the iPhone hands down not least cause of TomTom.

27. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Please tell me you are kidding!!! Nearly all phones available on the market today are free if you sign up to a contract (or they are heavily subsidized, e.g. £39.99 on T-mobile Flext35 for Nokia N95).
    Apple are going to charge that much for a 2G phone and on top, you HAVE to sign on to O2's 18 month contract. Can someone please tell me what I am missing about this phone that is soooo good.
    ...And on top apple are going to take 10% of revenue from O2 per iphone contract. What is O2 getting out of this, as they are probably paying full price for the iphone and not gving it away.
    This is rediculous, no wonder no other phone operator in the U.K wanted to touch this, after they found out the contract details (revenue sharing). In affect, O2 are giving apple everything just for the RIGHT to sell the phone at full price in the U.K (not even a discount). Sorry, did I say full price. They are selling it £69 more than the U.S (Is this correct, U.S price is £200)

EDIT: SHOCK!!! I have read from somewhere that apple are going to take 40% of the revenue from O2, not 10%. Madness I tell you.

28. richcandy

richcandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I wonder how long it will be before other mobile phone makers look for a similar deal with there top of the range handsets.

Some mobile markets make the customer pay in full for the handset and then give them credit every quarter dependent on their spend towards the cost of the handset.

Maybe this is the start of the end of free handsets.

Rich

29. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,936
    your right...im looking for a new phone and an ipod...but as it has been said here...the deal (and phone has got to many downsides.....The iphone is like the matrix sequels...style over substance IMHO.

I will wait until the price comes down or is free.....or wait for the second generation comes out! shame though good idea but with a little more finetuning could have been great !!..it will be interesting to see comparisons with the nokia n95!

30. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054

but where can you get an adapter? I've sliced some old headphones to fit, but I can't use my sennheiser noise-cancelling headphones which are essential on a flight.