Question iPhone XS

S2000 VTEC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, currently got an iPhone 7. Its slow at times and fancied an upgrade so was going to get an SE2 as I'm not often doing funky high tech stuff with my phone to warrant needing something powerful.

However saw a brand new XS 64GB space grey for £499.99 so went for it. I'm getting it today but having doubts if I should have gone for the pro/11. For the price paid did I get a decent enough deal? Just not sure as it's nearing 2 years old now.

Thanks

Last edited:
You said you don’t need the highest spec phone, so the XS will do you just fine, infact the XS is still pretty “high tech”, especially for someone who doesn’t care about top specs. You could have saved some money and got the X or the XR, but £500 for a brand new XS is a pretty good deal. They are still selling for over £400 second hand!

As for the pro or the 11, they cost more, it sounds to me like you’d be wasting money going for a newer more expensive model when highest specs don’t interest you. Plus the XS is actually better in some respects than the iPhone 11(the XS has a better OLED screen for example).

You said you don’t need the highest spec phone, so the XS will do you just fine, infact the XS is still pretty “high tech”, especially for someone who doesn’t care about top specs. You could have saved some money and got the X or the XR, but £500 for a brand new XS is a pretty good deal. They are still selling for over £400 second hand!

As for the pro or the 11, they cost more, it sounds to me like you’d be wasting money going for a newer more expensive model when highest specs don’t interest you. Plus the XS is actually better in some respects than the iPhone 11(the XS has a better OLED screen for example).
I was set on the SE2 form factor, big screens and new cameras never interested me (lucky for my wallet!). But £80 more for the XS thought I’d go for it. It is not even that much bigger. Still not sure I made the right choice but worst case will sell and get SE2.

Just got the phone delivered, the case is still not due till tomorrow so holding off opening it :(

looking forward to OLED, i’ve always had LCD. Do you suggest getting applecare for £79 for theXS? I am not renowned for smashing up phones but £579 all in for XS + accident damage cover seems alright don’t it?

I was set on the SE2 form factor, big screens and new cameras never interested me (lucky for my wallet!). But £80 more for the XS thought I’d go for it. It is not even that much bigger. Still not sure I made the right choice but worst case will sell and get SE2.

Just got the phone delivered, the case is still not due till tomorrow so holding off opening it :(

looking forward to OLED, i’ve always had LCD. Do you suggest getting applecare for £79 for theXS? I am not renowned for smashing up phones but £579 all in for XS + accident damage cover seems alright don’t it?

You’ll notice a difference when viewing pictures and videos, colours and contrast are much better. £79 for accident damage seems good yes, these are quite expensive to get repaired otherwise, it can cost over half the price of the phone in some cases. However I’ve never bothered as I’m very careful, and don’t throw my things around etc, Touch wood never smashed a phone, only put little scratches on them.

And yes the form factor of the XS is much better in my opinion, your getting a much bigger screen, and not that much bigger form factor than the SE2. Much better to have a bigger as it’s easier to type, easier on the eye to read, better for viewing pictures and videos etc!

Might be worth checking if your home insurance covers mobile phones? They might already cover it without paying any extra, and if you do have to pay extra it might be less than £79?

I
You’ll notice a difference when viewing pictures and videos, colours and contrast are much better. £79 for accident damage seems good yes, these are quite expensive to get repaired otherwise, it can cost over half the price of the phone in some cases. However I’ve never bothered as I’m very careful, and don’t throw my things around etc, Touch wood never smashed a phone, only put little scratches on them.

And yes the form factor of the XS is much better in my opinion, your getting a much bigger screen, and not that much bigger form factor than the SE2. Much better to have a bigger as it’s easier to type, easier on the eye to read, better for viewing pictures and videos etc!

Might be worth checking if your home insurance covers mobile phones? They might already cover it without paying any extra, and if you do have to pay extra it might be less than £79?
irecently did our contents insurance, unsure if I selected phones specifically unless they are covered by default. But yeah I’m not all that clumsy with phones but accidents do happen! Ordered a nice XS saddle brown Case which will protect it somewhat.

I

irecently did our contents insurance, unsure if I selected phones specifically unless they are covered by default. But yeah I’m not all that clumsy with phones but accidents do happen! Ordered a nice XS saddle brown Case which will protect it somewhat.

Yes always use a case, especially as these have glass backs aswell as the front. I’d recommend fitting a glass screen protector aswell. My last one saved my screen after accidentally put my phone in the same pocket as my keys! The screen protector was all scratched up, it looked awful and I was hoping and praying the screen was untouched after taking the protector off......... luckily it was completely untouched! Definitely worth getting!

Yes always use a case, especially as these have glass backs aswell as the front. I’d recommend fitting a glass screen protector aswell. My last one saved my screen after accidentally put my phone in the same pocket as my keys! The screen protector was all scratched up, it looked awful and I was hoping and praying the screen was untouched after taking the protector off......... luckily it was completely untouched! Definitely worth getting!
my current 7 i kept totally naked. It does have scratches and marks on the frame so might have to sell it on cheap. This XS will be looked after well.

I ordered these. Apparently you can't mess up their application. Hopefully my case arrives tomorrow or else will be pretty gutted.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That screen protector looks good. Hopefully you’ll get your case and those protectors ASAP!

That screen protector looks good. Hopefully you’ll get your case and those protectors ASAP!
yeah but unfortunately im having doubt as to whether i should have got the white one! Although it would be in the saddle brown case, the charge port area is exposed and on the white it looks much nicer in stainless steel. Hate that i can't go to the apple store either. Luckily i resisted temptation and didn't open the box yet.

yeah but unfortunately im having doubt as to whether i should have got the white one! Although it would be in the saddle brown case, the charge port area is exposed and on the white it looks much nicer in stainless steel. Hate that i can't go to the apple store either. Luckily i resisted temptation and didn't open the box yet.

Haha, I don’t think I could have waited, I’d have opened it and put my SIM card in it to test it out, but then I’m very impatient like that! Seems like you’ve got more will power than me!:D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom