Iphone X repair help

mattj4867

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here. I was trying to replace the battery and screen in my iphone x. I applied heat from a blow dryer and somehow ended up peeling the glass from the screen itself. The ear piece speaker assembly stayed attached to the housing of my phone rather than coming off with the screen. in the videos, I have never seen anyone make any comments about this online so i was wondering if any of you have experienced this or can give me an idea of how much damage i did to my phone haha. thanks! any help is appreciated!
1604711068535.png
1604710951537.png
1604711032274.png

A bit too heavy handed on the heat. You’ve separated the glass and digitiser and you’re now in a somewhat bad place. A shame really, considering an out of warranty battery replacement is the cheapest Apple repair job.

You’re options are to re-glue it using some form of ‘loca’ (google). My experience here suggests you’re always going to know/see the adhesive.

Or buy a replacement screen & digitiser ‘in one’. The problem here, is sub par components.

You can get horrible cheap LCDs (<£30), or subpar OLED (£60+).

Skirting around the fact the earpiece may now be kaput, not to mention the water resistant seal that will be lost. Ultimately your repair job is now going to run close to costing you more than an official repair :(

Last edited:
A bit too heavy handed on the heat. You’ve separated the glass and digitiser and you’re now in a somewhat bad place. A shame really, considering an out of warranty battery replacement is the cheapest Apple repair job.

You’re options are to re-glue it using some form of ‘loca’ (google). My experience here suggests you’re always going to know/see the adhesive.

Or buy a replacement screen & digitiser ‘in one’. The problem here, is sub par components.

You can get horrible cheap LCDs (<£30), or subpar OLED (£60+).

Skirting around the fact the earpiece may now be kaput, not to mention the water resistant seal that will be lost. Ultimately your repair job is now going to run close to costing you more than an official repair :(

i appreciate the insight Vini. I have a new OLED screen on hand. I was eventually going to replace the screen anyways because it had a crack in it prior to me "working" on it. I believe i am going to seek professional help. there is still some broken glass on the edge of the phone that is going to have to be removed. How much in Labor do you think it would cost to fix

The problem you’d have is finding someone willing to install the bits you've got. I’d imagine market stalls/iSmash/repair shops would want to use their own bits.

You probably need someone like me who used to repair for a 4 pack of beer on the basis “you” supplied the parts and you accept you’re getting zero warranty with me. I always advised folks used Apple for repairs, so only fixed em if they were close friends/tight.

I tapped out when Apple started integrating sensors/components that were tied to the handset (like the earpiece in your case) and Apple introduced the water resistance stuff.

All things aside. It’s probably an hours Labour. With a big IF on the condition of the earpiece.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom