Iphone X repair HELP! change battery but screw already threaded??

Boro22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi all

wondering if you can help me on this one. Basically circumstances are as follows:

• Owned an Iphone X from new (since Dec 2017)
  • Battery Health on 80% so took it down to Apple to change
  • They performed their usual visual checks and only cosmetic issues on report.
  • Hand phone in and collect a few hours later
  • On collection, they said they cannot change the battery as one of the screws has been threaded and they can't get to the battery

Now, i just have no idea how this could have happened as I have never touched the screw and never handed the phone in to anyone for repair etc.

when i look at the screw i can its raised slightly, i.e. its slightly out. any ideas on what i can do from here. Left side screw in picture.

Apple wanted to charge me c£430 to get it fixed vs the £69 for battery change.

Attachments

• A3FCC4D1-8C7F-43FA-AC2B-54F84FB8CE7B.jpeg
    A3FCC4D1-8C7F-43FA-AC2B-54F84FB8CE7B.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 111
It will be raised slightly if the Apple technician has tried to remove it.
If what you say is true (no one has tampered with it) all you can do is go in-store and argue your case.

OK Thanks but apple says nothing they can do.
And I have not touched the screw. Quite frustrating.

Don’t quite understand what’s happened, so the you’re saying the head part of the screw isn’t there and hence the thread part is stuck?

The screw is rounded after the gave the phone back to me. They need to remove this screw to change the battery. I have had the phone since new and not touched this screw.

The pre inspection report documents the phone as only having minor scuffs when they did thy visual inspection.

However on return they said they cannot remove the screw which had been rounded...

If apple store didn't do it and I didn't do it and I bought the phone from new and never handed phone in for repair before, I am at a loss. You can see the screw has been change psoiton as it's not flush with casing anymore. It's slightly raised.

Last edited:
As Apple not admitting responsibility, not sure what you can do other than try and remove it yourself.
Screw extractor kits on Amazon

I would not know where to start, don't want to do more damage.

I phoned up for some quotes for a "phone repair" service and they said they can take the screw out but it will probably break the screen. It would then cost £70 for a 3rd party screen and about £50 for a 3rd party battery. what a pain just for one rounded screw and to de-value the phone with 3rd party parts.. @neuty - do you think a phone screw extractor kit would work. any links as the screw at bottom is tiny.

I would not know where to start, don't want to do more damage.

I phoned up for some quotes for a "phone repair" service and they said they can take the screw out but it will probably break the screen. It would then cost £70 for a 3rd party screen and about £50 for a 3rd party battery. what a pain just for one rounded screw and to de-value the phone with 3rd party parts.. @neuty - do you think a phone screw extractor kit would work. any links as the screw at bottom is tiny.
2 simple options I can think of.

Try a rubber band and push the screwdriver into it and hope it catches the screw.
Or super glue the screwdriver to the screw and hope it helps remove it.

I will look for a kit and post the link

As Apple not admitting responsibility, not sure what you can do other than try and remove it yourself.
Screw extractor kits on Amazon
Not for s screw that size..

Options in post above are you best bet. Rubber band might work but it will have to very thin. Superglue is an option, just depends how stuck it is.

Before that, heat the screw up with of soldering iron, the expansion might help break the grip of the screw.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom