iPhone went for a dip. Advice please.

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Messiah, Jan 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Hi there

Out walking with the dog on Tuesday with iPhone in pocket. Walking round the lake next to our house and part of the path is like a quagmire so always walk along the wall when its like that. This time, as I was the iPhone rings. Get it out my pocket, decide not to answer it as as I'm putting it back in my pocket I lose my footing and both me and the iphone fall 4 foot off the wall with a big splash. Chest height in water with my iPhone in my lower jacekt pocket. iPhone was under water (in my pocket) for about 20 seconds I guess (I stayed in the water a lot longer until a passer by was able to help pull me out).

Anyway, got home and of course the iphone was drowned. Water coming out the holes and simply dripping and obviously dead. First thing I did was dry it in a towel, then removed the SIM card and then put it in a bag of rice with a few silica gel packets. Naturally thinking there is no chance this thing will ever breathe again but you have to give it a go don't you. Afetr 24 hours in the bag of rice I placed it on kitchen roll on the radiator (after removing the black plastic lower end on reverse to help any moisture escape) for a further 24 hours.

Lo and behold this morning, whilst it was still not responding to any button presses I placed it in the dock (thinking I have nothing to lose now) and after a few minutes it springs to life with the apple logo and promptly boots up. Time and date are all reset and no application would stay open, but a good start.

Left on radiator for rest of today and now, apart from some background marks behind the screen surface, everything is working absolutely fine, apart from the fact that out of the cradle it will only last for a few minutes despite the battery indicator showing full charge. Apps work, phone works, wifi ok. Absolutely amazing.

My question though is this. Do people think the not holding charge issue is likely just due to the battery having been shorted and therefore a replacement battery may fix it or is it maybe something more fundamental and not worth spending anything having the battery replacement carried out?

Thanks.

[edit] have just added a pic showing the screen smearing. This is the only physical sign of the iPhone having been for a dip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    not sure on whether its worth it but Apple have submersion sensors in the phone so wont touch it under warranty

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Its out of warranty and have no intention sending it to Apple. iPAQ Repair & Parts do replacement batteries for £42.95 fitted so wondering whether worth sending it to them for a replacement.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Update.

Another night in a warm location and the iPhone is now absolutely perfect. Even the screen smearing has 99% disappeared and I reckon in another 24 hours will have disapperaed 100%.

Battery life is now normal again. Everything is working just as it was before it took its little dip.

I have to say that I have always loved my iPhone but I now have even more respect for it. Superb :smashin:

5. chelsea.tone

chelsea.tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Excellent news :smashin: i had a Nokia 6230 that fell in the bath more than once and is still working as new lol, very resilient these phones :rotfl:

6. No1Joker

No1Joker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I can add that my mum put my Nokia 6600 through the washing machine on a full cycle. Not content with that it then went thru the tumble drier for 45 mins. I was presented with a half ironed pair of jeans and an almost broken phone.

A bit of tlc and it was up and breathing within a few hours!!